Applying from MPP for joint PhD Government (polisci)

Hello all,

I am starting an MPP at Georgetown/McCourt this autumn (perhaps this summer, TBD), and hope to convert that to a dual-degree program with the GU Government department. I already have a JD.

a.) Is this question too personally identifying, should I take it down? :unsure:

b.) While to me this is a coherent program of study (albeit interrupted by working) aimed at (I think) Comparative Politics, do I just look I'm vacillating and/or bordering on schizophrenic?

c.) In the context of such a plan, what are the usual pitfalls? I mean, obviously applying to one program is foolhardy; I'll apply to some others, asking for a deferral if I get in.

d.) I am actually fairly agnostic on the financial side as to whether I get funding. Is it true that I simply won't be taken seriously if I am not funded/make clear that I'm happy to be accepted w/o funding?

e.) I've read a fair amount about the dysfunction in GU Government Political Theory; does anyone have any insight to the groupings, personalities, and narrative within CP?

f.) Is there anything else you'd like to tell someone in my position? :blink:

Edited by kalorama

Any thoughts? Dual degree programs don't seem to get much discussion, and the few people who discuss them appear to apply simulatenously, rather than consecutively.

hOW OLD ARE YOU, 40?

Ha, no. But, yeah, not 25 any longer, either. I've seven years of work experience and that JD. You can do the math :blink:

It's been an interesting road…