POLL: Should This Forum Split Into IR & Domestic Programs?

Should the Government Affairs forum split into separate International and Domestic Affairs forums?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Government Affairs forum split into separate International and Domestic Affairs forums?

• Yes
    • No
    • More\Different Breakdowns (explain below)

Though there is plenty of overlap between the IR and the Domestic Affairs groups, I believe the difference is great enough that the mods should split this forum into two separate forums.

This topic has been discussed in the past. Perhaps putting it to a vote would be useful.

We apply to too many of the same programs. So long as the Georgetown-MSFS thread doesn't get led off into GPPI-land, for example, I'd rather share the worries and joys of waiting for HKS letters with all the other prospective MPPs. I think we co-exist nicely, and I'm comfortable simply ignoring threads for schools I'm not interested in (both IR programs I didn't apply to AND domestic-only policy schools).

I agree with zourah. Given that we apply to many of the same programs, it would create a bit a divide in sharing information and experiences (although we could always float between the sections).

Also, some of us: myself included, have interests that are both equally domestic and international.

I applied to HKS and to MSFS among others. One MPP and the other IR, but they both overlapped because my focus was Security and both schools had viable options for me. So I guess my vote is no for now.

I was thinking about this the other day. My interests are primarily domestic, so probably I click through 80% of this board for the 20% I read closely. It also doesn't help that the international side seems to be much more popular these days, effectively drowning out the domestic discussions. If I had come to this board a year or two ago in lieu of talking with mentors in the field I think I might have felt pressured to apply to programs that were not right for me just because of the sheer bulk of forum users putting in papers at the same dozen or so schools.

I'm of two minds on this, though, since on occasion I've been able to help International folks and vice versa. How about a sub-forum for us domestic folks?

If anyting, I'd separate Public Policy and IR program threads. I've noted that in many dicussions about the pros and cons of schools, the fact that some are policy oriented and other are IR schools is ignored and thus some critique or praise is not necessarily justified (in that context).

Having said that, I also agree with earlier comments that one can self-select discussions.

I'd say no. Some of the most popular schools (Harvard, Princeton, NYU, Columbia, UT-Austin, among others) have programs that appeal to both domestically- and internationally-oriented folks. The compartmentalization of information would only hurt discussion, and perhaps more importantly for the site admin, traffic.

I'd say no. Some of the most popular schools (Harvard, Princeton, NYU, Columbia, UT-Austin, among others) have programs that appeal to both domestically- and internationally-oriented folks. The compartmentalization of information would only hurt discussion, and perhaps more importantly for the site admin, traffic.

Are we reading the same board? At least half of the posts are about SIPA, Fletcher, etc.

I'm honestly really surprised by the number of responses on this topic. Maybe b/c it doesn't really matter? Just read what's relevant to you. Anyways, I vote no just cuz... :-D

it doesn't really matter? Just read what's relevant to you.

... says the IR guy.

In all seriousness though, I understand that there is a lot of overlap, but I'd appreciate better defined spaces for discussion. I get the impression we domestics on this board are getting trampled a bit by the International majority that doesn't fully understand how large and influential it is. Is it really so much to ask to have a sub-forum or two?