Best Funded Programs

zygomatic

So, as I peruse the results page and see some large funding packages I started to think, where are the best funded programs in Anthropology. Yes, some of you could probably make me cry :cry: with your packages, but I thought it may be of help to next years applicants to have an idea of what to expect. (course depends on the dang economy) :x

Although I am supposed to get funding, still waiting to hear exact number. So, I am not being stingy with my own info! :lol:

...and the anthro board comes back to life!

My program (PM me if you want to know specifics) offers tuition, health, and a 20k stipend. It's not as much as some of the hard sciences, but I'm happy!

For physical, I know George Washington and CUNY were handing out lush packages (>$25K, including tuition, health insurance, etc.)

I'm going to UT to work with a badass in paleoecology, and they're giving me $13k (plus tuition, health, and a $5k research award) for 5 years as a TAship.

UT Austin and ASU were throwing money at me. But the fact that all a in physical are funded (and therefore competition between students isn't unhealthily crazy), along with the guarantee of that same funding for 5 years (as opposed to the gamble of having to pay out of state tuition in subsequent years if I couldn't land a TAship) ultimately helped me decide.

• 5 months later...

For physical, I know George Washington and CUNY were handing out lush packages (>$25K, including tuition, health insurance, etc.)

I'm going to UT to work with a badass in paleoecology, and they're giving me $13k (plus tuition, health, and a $5k research award) for 5 years as a TAship.

UT Austin and ASU were throwing money at me. But the fact that all a in physical are funded (and therefore competition between students isn't unhealthily crazy), along with the guarantee of that same funding for 5 years (as opposed to the gamble of having to pay out of state tuition in subsequent years if I couldn't land a TAship) ultimately helped me decide.

Pertaining to George Washington's the "lush packages," were they directed only for PhD or also MA students? I'm looking into applying for their MA with a concentration in International Development. Their website only lists 5 TA opportunities and a few fellowships. I suppose this isn't all they have to offer...?

I can't speak for any schools exactly, but as I've been researching the general rule is... if the school is offering all the way up to a PhD - the MA's are unlikely to be funded (almost never really), and certainly not lush packages. If the school only offers a terminal MA, the MA's have the opportunity to be funded (some schools being more generous than others but usually tuition waivers and RA/TA positions). I've also heard to avoid public schools in Cali, for the obvious reason that a lot of those schools are facing cut backs due to the nature of the economy there - how true that is may vary from program to program.

Also, if you read the Anthro thread from last year I believe almost everyone who received funding was a PhD candidate.