Advisors/PIs that can't take you in the fall?

ss2player

Hey y'all,

So I'm contacting potential PIs to meet with when I look for a place to live, and potentially to rotate with/join their lab come the fall. A couple of them have said they don't have the funding to take any students next year, but I'm welcome to do a rotation with them. Now, it's my understanding that the rotations are meant for you to find a thesis lab, so would rotating without that opening be a "waste"? I'm sure I'd enjoy the 10 weeks and pick up some skills, but the 3 rotations we have are precious and I want to use them wisely.

Should I tell them thanks but no thanks? Or is it worth it for the experience? Not sure what the protocol is here.

Thanks in advance!

Doing a rotation with a lab that doesn't have funding for new students really only makes sense if: 1) you have already found a lab you want to join, that is able to take you, and 2) the lab without funding does some method or works on some topic that is very appealing to you and is also unique enough you could not learn it in a different lab in your program that could actually take you. Picking up skills during a rotation is nice, but you will likely do this in any lab- until you have one or two viable thesis lab options it is best to limit your rotations to labs accepting students.

I second liddy's comment above. I think it's good that these PIs are telling you they don't have funding to take on a student in the fall. That way, you don't fall into a trap where you've wasted precious "chances" to rotation just to find out you can't join after all. So yes, it's better to pass and look for other viable options. 

Agreed, it is better to have safe funding, nothing worse than not having a thesis lab to join at the end of the year. It does happen occasionally so be careful with your choices

Thanks all! I was leaning that way but nice to have confirmation. I've thanked them for their transparency and that I hope to potentially collaborate in the future, and at the very least, shoot the shit about research on campus.

Edited by ss2player