Columbia or Fletcher?

Which program should I choose, Columbia or Fletcher, if my goal after obtaining MA or MALD is to once again apply to the top US PhD programs in IR? I'm vacillating mainly because of the following two reasons.

(1) I've read that at Fletcher, students can take graduate courses at Harvard

(2) Fletcher ranks higher in the "Inside the Ivory Tower" Foreign Policy IR MA ranking in 2007, Fletcher being 4th and Columbia being 5th

Internet is useful, but the information I can get in Japan is nevertheless limited. I would really appreciate all of your advice. Thanks!!

The "Inside the Ivory Tower" survey is not talking about the Political Science MA at Columbia, it is talking about the MA from SIPA, they are two different programs, and focused on substantially different things.

tidefan:

Really? I didn't know that, thanks!! (I couldn't access the official article since I need to register, just saw the list off some other website.)

Either way, am I right in assuming that MA program in Columbia would be a better choice for an academic career?

tidefan:

Really? I didn't know that, thanks!! (I couldn't access the official article since I need to register, just saw the list off some other website.)

Either way, am I right in assuming that MA program in Columbia would be a better choice for an academic career?

I'd say so, yes, especially given that you are in at Columbia and waitlisted at Fletcher. I honestly do not believe that a lot of people will be admitted through the wait list this year.