Mixed feelings about everything...

ahimsa000

I still can't believe that I was accepted at Brown for my MS in Biotechnology... I'm actually so paranoid that this whole thing is just a false acceptance that has taken them over 10 days to fix. Besides that, I'm super nervous to be moving to the other side of the country and not have an established group of friends or any family for support. I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who feel the same way, right? I don't really know what to do from here, the school said they'd be keeping in touch frequently until the orientation date in late August. What do I do now? 

Last May when I was accepted into a PhD program, one of my fellow soon-to-be-cohort asked the DGS for the email addresses of the new people in the program and sent out an invite to friend her on Facebook. We all took her up on it and started chatting a bit well before we ever got to town. Well, some of us chatted more than others, and MA students weren't involved. Now that I've been there for a year, I'm not sure why the DGS didn't hand that list out to the requesting cohort buddy, but there ya go.

If you're intrepid that way, you can see if your DGS might either send out a meet-n-greet email for you or give you a list to send one out yourself.

Other than that? Breathe.

As far as non-cohort people, surely you have hobbies and interests outside of school. Find out what kinds of clubs/groups they have out near Brown. Anime fan? Book clubs? Disc golf? Regular golf? 4H? Scouting? Kayaking? There's always something! If you're religious, you can get into contact with the age-appropriate minister/clergyperson in your denomination of your religion. These people are usually really good ambassadors for a local area. The Harley Owners Group can totally rock. And so on.

I'm a sixth year, about to graduate, and I still sometimes occasionally wonder whether my grad program admitted me in error.

It's really common for people to wonder whether they got accepted by accident.

1) 9 to 1 you actually didn't - you got accepted purposefully.  Remind yourself that you're awesome and move on.

2) in the infinitesimal chance that you did get accepted by accident - just take your incredible luck and enjoy it!

I'm a sixth year, about to graduate, and I still sometimes occasionally wonder whether my grad program admitted me in error.

It's really common for people to wonder whether they got accepted by accident.

1) 9 to 1 you actually didn't - you got accepted purposefully. Remind yourself that you're awesome and move on.

2) in the infinitesimal chance that you did get accepted by accident - just take your incredible luck and enjoy it!

This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. Thank you!

Regarding emailing your cohort beforehand: i was thinking of doing this but a few people at the recruitment day were standoffish. Does anyone feel like they would be annoyed if someone tried to be buddy buddy with their cohort ahead of time?

Edited by Maleficent999

Regarding emailing your cohort beforehand: i was thinking of doing this but a few people at the recruitment day were standoffish. Does anyone feel like they would be annoyed if someone tried to be buddy buddy with their cohort ahead of time?

I think most people are probably as excited as you! No one would find that annoying!

I got the official letter in the mail today with my student ID on it...so now I'm less paranoid :) 

Anyways, I guess I can start the hunt for housing. Also submit my FAFSA and see how long it takes to get an estimate on my loan. Hopefully I qualify with my less than perfect credit score! 

Actually, one of the new students that will be in my cohort (4 of us total) in the Fall seemed pretty standoffish at our interview/recruitment day, but she was the first to contact everyone and initiate getting together for lunch. I think some people just feel nervous or competitive and have a hard time showing what they're really like at recruitment events. We've all now been out to lunch 3 times in the month since we got accepted.  The DGS actually held orientation for us in May instead of August because we're all local and he heard we were already getting together for lunch and talking about classes for the Fall. 

Bottom line is that we all embraced this move on her part and it's been great so far. I really don't see any good reason to take issue with someone's attempt to reach out and be friendly...

Since I'm in a Masters program, I don't have a cohort. Should I still email my advisor and see if she'll give me any email addresses of fellow students in the program? I don't know if this is inappropriate or anything...I just want to get to know everyone beforehand and talk about classes and stuff like you did (above post).

It's totally appropriate. In the past I've emailed the graduate coordinators so I can contact other students: there's certainly things they can tell you that faculty may not disclose or even consider important. And presumably they'll only give you contact info for students who want to be contacted, although there is certainly more reason for them to talk with you, since you're already in the program (I did the bulk of contacting students in the application/acceptance phase).

Since I'm in a Masters program, I don't have a cohort. Should I still email my advisor and see if she'll give me any email addresses of fellow students in the program? I don't know if this is inappropriate or anything...I just want to get to know everyone beforehand and talk about classes and stuff like you did (above post).

I really don't see why not, although maybe the DGS or his/her assistant would be the person to contact for info about other grad students. They're more likely to have it already compiled and complete.

While my department doesn't have masters students, the DGS has mentioned a few times that we should never hesitate to contact the current students about absolutely anything because they'll very responsive and helpful. Really, I think most people mean well and would be strongly inclined to respond positive to a newbie looking for advice and someone to get to know in the program.