Profile evaluation and program suggestions

Hi all, 

As the title suggests, I would love it if someone out there gives me an idea of my shots of getting into a good stats/ml (/cs?) program. 

I would be submitting my application this Dec. 

I- Background:

1- Graduated with a BS in Math and Economics (double major) and a GPA of 3.98 from the biggest state school in my state. 

2-Been working as a research assistant in a top research university for a year, in the process of submitting 6 papers and expecting at least a couple more before december. 2nd author on most but might be 1st author on one...New papers are mostly apply machine learning techniques to existing problems

3-specific classes I took, all A's unless otherwise noted. 

Calc 1-4 (vector calculus, the only class i ever took P/F), linear alg, intro to probabilities (only B+ ever), Computing for statistics, Regression models, intro to proofs, Intro to programming (Java), PhD level classes: advanced econometrics and advanced statistical methods. I feel like im forgetting a handful....

A bunch of econ classes (no game theory!) all A's. 

Real analysis (took this class in an ivy league school, not where i graduated) A- 

4- Programming languages: R, stata, python in that order. 

5- SUPER solid recommendation letters from pretty high up professors at Ivy league colleges (econ and biostats dept) . 

6-International student. 

7- I intend on taking the GRE, and the TOFEL and the GRE subject test (and acing all of them) 

II- Programs:

Sooo, now for the more important question. I fell in love with machine learning and data mining. I know this is what I really truly want to do. I do not, however, want to limit myself to one application, for example Biostats will limit me to only public health/epi stuff. I want to dabble with energy markets, fraud detection, public health, political sciences...the works. As I look more and more into programs I'm starting to realize that maybe my interests align better with CS but I dont know if they will take someone with minimal CS background. I would also prefer to find a program in Massachusetts. Here is what I was thinking so far, these are my pipe dreams obviously. Please tell me if you think that these programs wont be good for me/ are too unrealistic. 

1- MIT, OR

2-Harvard stats 

3-CMU ML/stats (this would have been my first pick if it wasnt for location) 

4-MIT CS 

5- Princeton stats

6- UW stats

7- Umass amherst stats and CS 

Also, I dont know of ANY safety schools so suggestions appreciated. 

Finally: Any advice/ suggestions on how to make my app more competitve would be greatly appreciated. 

THANK YOU!!!

You seem like a very strong candidate, but your list of schools is a bit top-heavy. Keep in mind that even people with close to 4.0 GPAs get rejected from these places. I would apply to some schools ranked below that too to maximize your chances of getting in somewhere. Best of luck.

Thanks!

And yes I'm very aware of that. Do you have any suggestions for safety schools?

I would ask your professors. It's likely that they have connections and collaborators at other universities, and having that "in" definitely helps when you apply. Given that you have a proven academic track record at a top undergrad institution and that you're now working at an elite one, I think you will likely get into at least some top programs. Good luck!

depends where your publications are i'd say.

if they are in top conferences for ML (NIPS/ICML), then I think you'd be golden for all schools, including the top 4. I would knock Harvard stats off your list since they don't seem to be doing too much in ML. Look into (all CS)

UCLA

Columbia

Georgia Tech

Michigan

USC

Ok, make sure then your recommenders mention that the journals in which you published are tier 1. I still think you have a good shot at the top 4 (though not a sure thing of course). I think you would have a better shot at stats programs though. Look into schools that have faculty who are applying/researching ML in the context of biomedicine. Johns Hopkins, NYU, come to mind, but I'm sure there are more.