MBA Advice needed.

Long time lurker (not in this area) but this is my first time actually posting on the site. 

My question is, should I get an MBA or a 2nd bachelors in Business?

Background

Ok, I am a 20 year old college graduate with a Bachelors in Public Administration. Problem is, I didn't intern while in school and now my job prospects are terrible. Also, my GPA is terrible (2.83 OVR; 3.5 Last 60) due to me starting college when I was 16 and lacking the necessary maturity and work ethic needed to make good grades during my first 2 years of college.  Because of this, I have been looking for jobs outside of my major but I am running into 2 problems: I lack work exp. and my major is not broad enough to transfer to different fields. 

My P.O.A.

My Plan of Action was (is) simple; go back to school. The idea is to go to the cheapest public school in my area and use the remaining undergrad Stafford availability I have for a degree in Business administration with a concentration either in supply chain management or accounting as these seem to have the most utility. Problem is, everyone I have consulted with has stated how dumb it was to get a second bachelors (even in a useful concentration like accounting) if I already had a bachelors degree and stated that I should consider a masters degree. After conducting about a week's worth of research, I have come to the conclusion that a MBA at my age and level of work exp. is completely and utterly worthless. I just don't know what to do. The Bachelors degree would take about 2 years if I went full time and would include classes I have never thought about taking like business calc. Still, a masters degree would force me to take these same courses before admitting me anyway so I don't see how the MBA is a better option. 

Career Goals

Sounds dumb, but my Career goal is to simply have a career. I no longer have a "dream job," I just have a dream position I would eventually like to achieve such as Director of blah blah or Chief ____ Officer. I know that a bachelors itself will not get me into one of these positions but it will help me raise my GPA, allow me to intern with a variety of companies, and also put me on a path of redemption where I can turn this terrible set of circumstances into a life changing MBA degree from a top school if I could just find meaningful work and raise my GPA a little. 

With ALL of this said, can you guys offer any advice?

I agree that a second bachelor's wouldn't be necessary for something like accounting or supply-chain management.

I understand your frustration, but, if you're only 20 years old you are extremely, extremely young! You have so much time ahead of you and I really encourage you to take a few breaths and try to look at the overall picture, beyond just wanting a prestigious job title. To be totally frank, I don't know how much the business world will take you seriously at your age. You say you lack internships / work experience, which means that MBA programs probably aren't right for you right now.

I'd encourage you to look for (relatively) less competitive opportunities to get your foot in the door. Go abroad and teach in a foreign country, apply to an Americorps program, anything that gives you experience and allows you to start building that resume. If you're willing to take some risks, I really think you'll find rich opportunities for growth and development, and perhaps a new career path that you haven't thought of yet.

Good luck to you!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd encourage you to look for (relatively) less competitive opportunities to get your foot in the door. Go abroad and teach in a foreign country, apply to an Americorps program, anything that gives you experience and allows you to start building that resume. If you're willing to take some risks, I really think you'll find rich opportunities for growth and development, and perhaps a new career path that you haven't thought of yet.

I really like HJ's advice of getting some work experience in less competitive areas that still lend themselves to lots of learning and growth.

Since you're only 20, I personally am not against the idea of you earning a second bachelors—especially if it will only take two years. People think that getting a Masters is automatically better because it's a higher degree, but I could also see how doing well in a second bachelors degree could help sort of "reset" your undergraduate experience on paper. I'm not suggesting you hide your other degree, but it may lessen the impact, especially if you use your optional essay to explain why your grades were so poor in your first degree.

I also suggest you read the book The Defining Decade by Meg Jay. It's a great book for 20-somethings that I think will provide you with some encouragement and guidance.

Best of luck with making your decision!

Kaneisha