How to Prepare for PhD in Education/Curriculum&Instruction/English?

grandstreet

Hi Friends,

I'm starting to research PhD programs in Education, specifically programs in English Education (Curriculum and Instruction, Language and Literacy, Teaching of English, etc.). I'm considering throwing in my hate in a year or two, but I'm curious for those of you applying, accepted, or students in Teaching of English-themed PhD programs - how have you/do you/did you prepare for this beyond teaching?

My background info- I have a master's in teaching and 3-4 years of teaching experience, depending on how you count it, though I'd have probably 5-6 by the time I applied/enrolled. I've presented at 2 conferences in a different, but related discipline, but don't have any publications.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking for info on this topic! Any input would be appreciated.

I did my undergrad degree in biology and the path to grad school seemed more straightforward: intern in a lab, do a research project for your thesis, get a job working in a lab, gradually focus coursework in on a field, work in a lab aligned with your interests, find phd programs that are strong in that area.

In education, it seems people come to PhD programs from a wider variety of places--teaching, industry, administration, etc. and it's not as clear to me what makes a strong app. (It's also really hard to google because the keywords "education" and "PhD" don't really exclude PhD's in all other subjects.) Faculty members seem to research a wider variety of topics as well--unlike biology professors they don't specialize as exclusively. Advice on what leads to successful applications?