Policy/planning: UIC, NYU, CMU ?

Hi all,

So, I'm trying to decide between public policy and planning programs. I'm interested in community revitalization and (domestic) regional economic development.

I've been offered a full-tuition scholarship + graduate stipend to University of Illinois at Chicago to study planning, $10k a semester (a little over half tuition) to Carnegie Mellon - Heinz to study policy, and $8k a semester (a little less than half) to NYU Wagner to study planning.

My concern is - UIC is the least amount of debt, but not a big-name school (though ranked in planning). NYU is well-regarded, but borrowing for tuition plus borrowing to live in New York seems insane. (Disclosure: my significant other is going to NYU on a full ride this fall, which does sway me toward NYU.) CMU seems to hit the sweet spot between a big name program and a manageable amount of debt.

Also, I was accepted into a joint J.D./M.S. program between CMU and Pitt - I'm still trying to decide if it's worth the money for what I want to do, but it's a possibility if I stay here.

What do you guys think I should do?

accepted: CMU, NYU, UIC, Columbia GSAPP, Pitt GSPIA

Personally, I think the CMU-Pitt joint program is really cool, so that would be my option. However, I understand wanting to be near a S/O, and with the two of you sharing an apartment in NYU, your total living expenses will probably be cheaper (if you two already pool your income/bills). And while Chicago to NYC is definitely a plane-trip, you could potentially take a train or drive from Pittsburgh to NYC (or to an area in between), so your S/O could sublet their apartment over breaks (thus saving money) and live with you in Pittsburgh without worrying about excessive airfare.

I've heard good things about UIC for planning, plus you wouldn't have to go into debt. You'd be able to afford the $150-200 r/t to fly to NYC sometimes to see your SO. Plus, a master's is only two years, after which you could move to NYC. Plus, I think you could get better internships in Chicago.

NY to Pittsburgh is about a 9 hour drive fyi, don't count on too many visits unless you can afford to take the plane. I say this as someone who attended CMU and now lives in NYC.

My opinion is unless you really want to be a lawyer, go where the money is. Congratulations your funded offers; it is difficult to squeeze money out of NYU.

UIC would be tempting with no tuition and a stipend, but I think I'd go with CMU in your situation. The JD possibility (which you're already accepted to - congrats!) makes debt less of an issue, and you're getting a pretty nice fellowship anyway. The CMU name and alumni network are probably worth the risk, especially with the Pitt JD opportunity. Just my 2c. I didn't apply to any masters programs at schools where I could've gotten into their JD program, so I'm jealous :)