PhD Theater/Performing Arts Schools...opinions?

johnfastolf

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking into applying for TAPS programs this coming year, or the next. Has anyone heard anything good about Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, University of Maryland, ASU, or Wisconsin? I have a good understanding of where the top programs lie (Northwestern, NYU, Stanford, Columbia, Yale) but not sure where these middling programs lie in quality rankings, if at all.

• 4 months later...

Hi there! It's somewhat hard to find rankings for TAPS programs. I've looked at the Chronicle of Higher Education to start my list. This year will be my third year of applying to PhD programs and I think, while rankings are important, it's more important to find a program that fits your needs and has faculty you'll be able to work with. For example, I've looked into Maryland because of it's higher ranking and because Frank L. Hildy is an amazing scholar whose work I've read and respect; however, there isn't anyone in the program who's interest overlap mine enough for me to be excited about applying there. I know Wisconsin is considered a higher ranking program too, but I haven't personally looked there. I hope this helps.

Are you applying for 2015 or 2016?