Weak languages: WWYD?

Macrina

My ancient languages are weak and I know I need to strengthen them. Unfortunately, the easy, cheap solutions for Greek and Latin aren't available in my city this year. But I do have an option for graduate-level coptic, and since one of my interests is ancient monasticism, that's not completely out of my range.

Should I take the coptic course? Or work to find something to give me credit in a more mainstream language? I guess the real question is: should I take a less common language at a more appropriate level or should I focus on the basics, even if I end up doing them at an undergraduate/very introductory level? (fWIW, i do have a bit of both Greek and Latin, but nothing 'on paper')

All of my great language options haven't come through this year so I'm scrambling to firm up my plans for the fall. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

I would try to get something on paper for at least one of the two (I assume that you may have some Coptic already?), even if it is at a lower level.  If you have some existing ability in the language, is there any course that you could possibly test into at a higher level?  Or are all the courses 101(ish) level?  If this is the case, I would try and go with Attic Greek as opposed to NT/Koine, as I am assuming from your username that you may have some interest in Late Antiquity, and if you'd like to read someone like your namesake's brother, you'll need some familiarity with an Atticizing style of Greek, which a NT course won't give you.  I think that out of the two, Greek would be more beneficial, especially if you are thinking about LA Egypt (which is my own area of study, so PM if you have other questions), Cappadocia, etc. as opposed to the non-Byzantine regions.

thanks, AbrasaxEos. I'm planning on applying for doctoral programs in Late Antiquity/Early Christianity in 2015 for 2016. I have ok reading comp of Latin, poor Greek, and no Coptic. Modern Langs are excellent but of course that doesnt do much for me. My original plan was to take Latin at an intro/grad student level, but the course was cancelled due to lack of interest. So now my options are Latin or Greek at the 100 level/undergrad, or Coptic (introductory, but a 900-level course).

Because of the types of language work I've been doing (trying to read ancient texts, not focusing on 'conversational'), I've been told by my adviser that the graduate-level courses are a better fit, but they aren't being offered this year, and the current greek option is classical Greek. I'm feeling stuck. I dont have quite enough Latin to be comfortable taking a graduate non-introductory course on my own and Latin 101 may not be a good choice. above all, I need a 'paper trail' for my languages.

So. Coptic 900? Latin 100? or Greek 100?

Or is there another option I just dont know about? any online (legit) courses?

I think that the classical Greek course woudn't be too bad an idea - if your Greek is poor to begin with, you are definitely going to have to get that to at least an intermediate level before you apply.  It is good that your modern languages are solid, this will help, even if only incrementally.  Classical Greek, even at the introductory level is typically much more rigorous than a Koine/NT course, and I think that if you invest yourself in it seriously for 2 semesters, your Greek should actually be about where most EC applicants who have only focused on Koine Greek claim their ability is at when they say "Intermediate."  That way, I'd think you'd also be able to register for some more difficult Greek courses next year, which you can indicate on your applications to demonstrate that your abilities will be up to par by the time you enter into the program.  Ask your advisor though, as I think s/he will have a good sense of what you need, and what will benefit you the most.  We need more people who know Coptic, but I think that AC programs will be less than impressed if your Coptic is good, but Greek is mediocre - and a solid understanding of Greek will be of great benefit when you do learn Coptic, as there are many loan words, in addition to the whole Egyptian language written with the Greek alphabet thing!

Greek, Greek, and more Greek. You already have a decent foundation for Latin, which will easily improve along with your Greek training (similarities). Unless you are very focused on the Latin patristics, move on. Coptic is something you can pick up in one semester, especially (as Abrasax said) once your Greek is decent. If you do not get your Greek up to speed I truly don't think your application will be taken seriously, at least in LA programs. I'm at a top LA program for what it's worth (though I do more 'Jewish' things). Those of us in LA are actually sort of expected, I think, to have a bit more language coursework than those in biblical studies (at least among many of the NT students I know). We cannot get away with only having Koine, as Abrasax also prudently noted, but should have a good working knowledge of Attic. Further, if you hope to do any work on Jewish and Christian discourse you are going to need to work on Hebrew/Aramaic/Syriac. I know some students who don't have a ton of Hebrew in LA, but with the competition I think it will hurt you in your applications. It is unfortunate that you will 'only' have Greek 101 on your transcript, but I have to believe that most programs realize that Classical Greek 101 is better/harder than Koine 701. The latter is often a misnomer and is only labeled 'graduate' because divinity schools/professional schools must list their courses higher for their students to receive credit. I have been in both types of courses and I can say without a doubt the classical 101 course will better suit you. In short, having a solid foundation in several languages is better than a smattering of many. They will be (I think) impressed by your attention to mastering your main languages over time and not attempting to find some high level class that feigns competency, which unfortunately is all too common at the big name divinity schools (e.g. I once sat in on a 'advanced' Greek course in a big divinity school that was labelled 800-something 'Hellenistic Greek', but turned out to be a second year Koine course where the students had not yet been introduced to indirect discourse, the optative, and so on). Quality over quantity, basically. 

Edited by sacklunch