Another language question.. Learning 2 at once?

Macrina

I need Greek and I need Latin. I could do both this year or I could do one this year and then add in the second in fall 2015.

Would I be crazy to do both Greek and Latin this semester? Or Greek and Coptic? I would not take any other courses if I did this.

Anyone work on two new ancient languages at once?

And if I do this, which two languages would be easier to learn together? Greek and Latin? Greek and Coptic? Or (probably not) Coptic and Latin?

Thanks!

Depends on how you learn, I think. For some, the similarities between Greek and Latin may cause confusion; others may find them beneficial. The same applies to Coptic and Greek. At least for me, I always found the different alphabets a way to compartmentalize their differences (and nuance their similarities). To your question, I would say, yes, absolutely, do them simultaneously. Because of your interests it is crucial you show competency in both Greek and Latin. If it were me I would consider doing all three at once, but I understand that may be a bit overkill...! I have done Greek, Latin, and Hebrew/Aramaic/Syriac all in once semester and it wasn't too bad, though I had a strong/decent foundation in all of them beforehand. If it makes you feel better this fall I may be doing advanced coursework in Greek and Aramaic/Syriac, while beginning Coptic and classical Ethiopic. 

I would agree, studying multiple ancient languages concurrently is not uncommon, at least at the introductory levels.  The only exception that I can think of might be if one of the classes requires lengthy time-intensive translations as part of the coursework, but even then, should be manageable.

Well, you might ask yourself how much you enjoy studying ancient languages.  I'm preparing this summer for my fall diagnostics in Greek and Latin, so I study both every day.  Yet I totally enjoy it.  If you're passionate about it, it should not be a problem.  Then again,if it seems like a burden, you will have twice the burden in the coming year.