Moving

Guest dave

So, I'm trying to get my move setup(Boston -> Bloomington weee) and I've been looking at rental trucks and holy shit is it expensive! We're talking a grand for the teeny truck(one way). Anyone have any suggestions of cheaper ways to do things or are people sending what they can and buying beds, etc, when they get to their college?

Guest paprika81

it's cheaper if you can rent a van/trailer on a weekday rather than a weekend. i'd try different dates, too; maybe it's more expensive around the 1st of the month? just a guess, i don't know. it's also usually cheaper to rent a small trailer to haul yourself than to rent a truck or van (but if you don't have a vehicle that can tow, that's more difficult).

i'm calculating how much i could sell my furniture for, how much i would need to spend on new furniture, and how much it would cost to ship and/or haul it. in my case, because i've had roommates & don't personally own much non-bedroom furniture, it's cheaper for me to ship a few small pieces & sell the rest than to rent a truck or trailer.

if anyone has any better suggestions, though, i'd love to hear them.

Guest Guest

also consider how much gas you would need to drive a rental truck from boston to bloomington. my fiance and i just moved and we rented a truck that got 10 miles/ gallon. we spent $100 in gas for a 7 hour drive. and the truck rental cost about $350 i think.

if we had to move as far as you are moving, i think we would have donated our furniture to goodwill and bought new, but our furniture was cheap to start with and we would buy cheap again. if you like expensive furniture, that might not be a good idea.

Guest guest

Apparently Bed Bath & Beyond has a service called "Pack & Hold," where you can either order things online and delay the shipping date (i.e. order them now from Boston, and select to have it shipped later to Indiana) OR go to the store closest to you, create a list of items you (might) want to buy, and when you get to Indiana, they'll be ready for you at the store there. Dunno if that's actually any easier than just shopping when you get there (I guess it's geared toward undergraduate freshman who wouldn't really be able to go shopping once they're moved into a dorm), but it's a thought.

I'm actually moving almost the exact # of miles as you. So I've done a bit of research as to the cheapest way to move, check out this page:

http://www.moving.com/Moving_and_Planni ... p?wtid=300

You will receive discounts at Budget and Penske if you use the link on that page. You could also consider ABF, it may be cheaper, for me it came out to be about the same. I don't have a ton of stuff, so my estimated moving expenses is about $1,000. Unfortunately unless someone is moving to the same place around the same time and want to share a truck, I don't foresee the cost dropping.