Graduate help needed

m.soh

Hi,

I'm in need for some help and guidance regarding Graduate admissions.  I'm currently pursuing MPhil in West Asian Studies from JNU, New Delhi and I wish to join a Graduate Programme in International Relations. I took GRE twice with not so good results each time (282 Q+V). I don't know whether I should try again or let go even though I really do want to give it another try. I did apply to four schools last year (University of California , Santa Barbara,University of Denver, University of California Riverside and Irvine). All rejections ofcourse.

Now I know I cannot score more than 305-310 in GRE even if I retake the test. Can someone suggest me what all universities I should look at? Also,how can I further improve my GRE score. Whether I should give it another try or look for other options?

Thanks in advance

Have you considered Canadian universities? :)

We have a few schools with very reputable IR programs. You also don't need to write the GRE to get accepted. Even better, many Canadian universities offer generous funding packages and the tuition will be half the price of what you would pay in the US. 

You can look into programs offered by GPSIA at the University of Ottawa, NPSIA at Carleton University, and Munk at the University of Toronto (these schools would provide you with an MA in IR/IA). You can also look into UBC and McGill, albeit you would receive an MA in Political Science with a concentration in IR. 

If you think you can score around 310 (V+Q) on the GRE, you should definitely re-take the test. You have some time, so I would suggest studying for a couple of months (make sure to take as many practice tests as you can) and then re-taking it a time or two again.

Take Jeetlebuice's advice and look at Canadian universities. I did horrible on my GRE (I suck at standardized tests) but got into McGill's MA program because of my college GPA and resume, as well as my program goals. There are only two programs that I know in Canada which require the GRE. Any program at UBC requires the GRE (unless you have previously attended a Canadian university), while only McGill's PhD requires the PhD. I am going to study for it again. I did absolutely horrible (150/150), but never, ever studied for it and had never had any type of algebra education (dropped out of HS at the age of 15, 25 years ago). Canada gives you the perfect opportunity to go to a quality school if you have proven yourself at your undergraduate institution. 

Oh, on the other hand, funding depends on which university in Canada you go to. I have to take out a big loan for McGill (Stafford Loan) because I have to pay international tuition fees, which will cost around $16,000 a year. Also, unlike most American universities, Canadian universities rarely offer a tuition waiver. In the case of PhD programs, they give you enough funding that it is almost like a tuition waiver, but still that isn't the case always.