Summer/Fall 2015 Ideas

Hi everyone,

I know this is a long way away, but I am just starting to think of schools to apply to for summer and fall 2015.  Unfortunately I did not get in anywhere this round and was wondering if anyone could tell me any schools that may be less competitive to apply to.  I am from MA but would be willing to travel anywhere in the country.  I also was wondering for anyone who didn't get in their first round what they did to improve for their second round of applying.  I am planning on retaking my GREs and was thinking of taking some post-bacc classes (not sure if that will help)?  I would appreciate any input. thanks!

Hi,

I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago. I am also from the east coast and applied to literally every school I could find, some even multiple times. It took me 3 years of applying to graduate school to realize I wasn't getting in on the east coast without a miracle. I applied to Eastern New Mexico University in 2010 and was accepted without even being wait listed. They don't have an application fee so there is no harm in trying it. NM was definitely a culture shock but if you're as committed to becoming an SLP as I was then you would be fine. Good Luck! 

JNP92,

There are certain grad programs that do not require a GRE. I saw a list some time ago on this forum.  What is your undergraduate in? What experience do you have working with adults/children with disabilities? 

Hi,

I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago. I am also from the east coast and applied to literally every school I could find, some even multiple times. It took me 3 years of applying to graduate school to realize I wasn't getting in on the east coast without a miracle. I applied to Eastern New Mexico University in 2010 and was accepted without even being wait listed. They don't have an application fee so there is no harm in trying it. NM was definitely a culture shock but if you're as committed to becoming an SLP as I was then you would be fine. Good Luck! 

thanks for the reply!  I will do anything to get into a school no matter where it is.  I've considered applying to Eastern New Mexico (especially because the app fee is free).  Do you like it and do they have a program that starts in the summer?

JNP92,

There are certain grad programs that do not require a GRE. I saw a list some time ago on this forum.  What is your undergraduate in? What experience do you have working with adults/children with disabilities? 

I was an undergrad in communication sciences and disorders as well as minored in psychology of developmental disabilities.  I did an internship at a speech clinic last summer and currently work doing ABA with kids with autism.  I also did some observations at a rehab hospital working with adults.  In high school I worked in the special ed resource room with some kids who were actually non-verbal.  I also just got a job working as a para starting in the fall for a child with autism.  I was hoping because I had a lot of experience working with this with disabilities it would help outweigh the GREs, but that unfortunately wasn't the case.