Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

Hi, everyone! 

I've been trying to stay off of this forum because I think a lot of you are significantly more qualified than I am so I get really anxious about my chances, but as we approach the April shuffle, I feel like I need to share where I'm at with someone. 

My undergraduate and graduate GPAs are both pretty high, but neither are in Psychology (Liberal Arts and Education, respectively). GRE Verbal 168, Quant 151, Writing 4. So, I know my quant score is somewhat low. I applied mostly to I/O Ph.D. programs, but also to an Ed.D. at GWU in Human and Organizational Learning, and UNC Charlotte's Org Science Ph.D. program. I didn't apply to any Master's programs. Here are my results so far:

Rejected: USF, George Mason, Columbia, Maryland 
Accepted: GWU Ed.D. with at least a year of funding (but it's an Ed.D.....)
Waitlisted: UCF
Waiting: University of Georgia, Clemson, UNC Charlotte 

I followed up with the 3 I'm waiting on. UGA and UNC didn't give too much info; just that they would let everyone know by April 15. Clemson did say an offer was unlikely, but that they couldn't say for sure yet. 

Any thoughts on any of this? Thanks in advance!

Hi, everyone! 

I've been trying to stay off of this forum because I think a lot of you are significantly more qualified than I am so I get really anxious about my chances, but as we approach the April shuffle, I feel like I need to share where I'm at with someone. 

My undergraduate and graduate GPAs are both pretty high, but neither are in Psychology (Liberal Arts and Education, respectively). GRE Verbal 168, Quant 151, Writing 4. So, I know my quant score is somewhat low. I applied mostly to I/O Ph.D. programs, but also to an Ed.D. at GWU in Human and Organizational Learning, and UNC Charlotte's Org Science Ph.D. program. I didn't apply to any Master's programs. Here are my results so far:

I followed up with the 3 I'm waiting on. UGA and UNC didn't give too much info; just that they would let everyone know by April 15. Clemson did say an offer was unlikely, but that they couldn't say for sure yet. 

Got the same thing from UGA and Clemson when I asked them :( Clemson has already sent out at least a few rejections, so there's hope. 

I do have an offer from UNC Charlotte that I am 95% sure I'm accepting. It's a great program. 

I got an acceptance letter from SJSU this week. Now I have to decide between SFSU and SJSU...decisions decisions

I'm in exactly the same boat! Good luck with making your decision :)

Claremont Graduate University accepted me to the masters of arts program in Organizational Behavior and Evaluation. They also told me according to the merits on my application, they have given me $8,000. :D It is an awesome feeling but Claremont is expensive nonetheless. haha 

Good news star dude. I didn't even know that Masters programs did that kind of stuff! That's part of why I applied to very few Masters programs. Is that 8000$ is scholarship, tuition remission, or a stipend?

Hi, everyone! 

I am in awe of your verbal score! You are my hero, who ever you are.

It goes without saying ... it is a jaw - dropper! **I Clap** 

This may seem off topic, but are any of you home owners? I have a small townhouse here in Fort Collins, and I'm curious what I should do with it. It's a very strong and stable market so I can sell at any time. I'll be going to UMSL for a MA or PhD. I can rent a bigger/better place in STL for the same or less than I can rent out my current place for. I can also sell my place here and buy a bigger/better place there for the same or less. The smarter option may be to rent for a year and then buy. The smartest move might be long term rental, keeping my current house as my first income property and just buy a house some time after graduation, but I'm sort of looking forward to being able to update wherever I live next, it's almost impossible to get a place with just the right bathroom and kitchen so owning/renovating is the best bet. That said, other than weekend renovations I wouldn't have time to do much.

First World Problems, eh?

I wouldn't buy in STL. If you can turn a profit with your current one then maybe that's a good option. You may find you don't have the time to reno the way you want, and unless you are planning to stay longer it could really bite you in the end.

I have a couple homes in various places because somewhere down the line I thought it would be a great financial investment, with where the market is I'll be happy to break even some day.

This may seem off topic, but are any of you home owners? I have a small townhouse here in Fort Collins, and I'm curious what I should do with it. It's a very strong and stable market so I can sell at any time. I'll be going to UMSL for a MA or PhD. I can rent a bigger/better place in STL for the same or less than I can rent out my current place for. I can also sell my place here and buy a bigger/better place there for the same or less. The smarter option may be to rent for a year and then buy. The smartest move might be long term rental, keeping my current house as my first income property and just buy a house some time after graduation, but I'm sort of looking forward to being able to update wherever I live next, it's almost impossible to get a place with just the right bathroom and kitchen so owning/renovating is the best bet. That said, other than weekend renovations I wouldn't have time to do much.

First World Problems, eh?

MA or PhD?

Yea thats what I thought. The STL market looks a little wonky. It's on an uptick but they have a super high foreclosure rate because prices are still a bit under what they were over the last few years so there are a lot of people only a few years in to mortgages that are upside down. I think maybe I'll just rent an especially nice place for a few hundred over what my current house will fetch on the rental market. I just don't want to start collecting properties like my dad did, he spend so much time managing them, but I think that's by choice.

MA or PhD?

Well as I have been told, the current offers are holding out so whether they accept or release their offers remains to be seen. Right now they are getting an MA offer to me, though I'm still wherever I am on the PhD short list. So if they find more funding or if some of the current offers are released I expect I'll get a PhD offer instead.

Edited by setite

I have been following this for awhie but I am just now deciding to write... The only notice I have been notified of are rejections: Arizona, FIT, Auburn, Akron, and LA Tech. I have a phone interview today *bites fingers* and I'm on a waitlist at another school. I applied to twelve programs in all (3 Ph.D and 9 Masters). April just started and I'm already extremely anxious.

I have been following this for awhie but I am just now deciding to write... The only notice I have been notified of are rejections: Arizona, FIT, Auburn, Akron, and LA Tech. I have a phone interview today *bites fingers* and I'm on a waitlist at another school. I applied to twelve programs in all (3 Ph.D and 9 Masters). April just started and I'm already extremely anxious.

What MA/MS programs did you apply to, if you don't mind me asking? 

If anyone else is waitlisted at Albany and UCF, it looks like both schools are going into their waitlist to fill up the remaining offers.

Edited by phatlilpanda

What MA/MS programs did you apply to, if you don't mind me asking? 

The MA/MS programs I applied to are OU(waiting), FIT(rejected), CSU for consumer-industrial psychology(waiting), CSUSB(waiting), UTA(interviewed), Arizona for applied psychology (rejected), Akron(rejected), Xavier(waitlisted), EKU(waiting). I also applied to UH Ph.D program but I haven't been contacted by anyone there so I'm assuming its a rejection right now. UH seems to have a very poor system of communicating to applicants they have not given offers to. I understand they are swamped but this is something that should be expected around this fragile application season. They must not understand the struggle.

Yea, I find it unacceptable to have heard nothing at all from a program this late in the game. Some were slow with their info but as of now I still haven't heard a single thing from Akron. I figure a straight rejection would have come already but they must realize that people are going to give up at this point. I heard from Utah State University about an Interview yesterday, but I had already accepted another offer. Sure I could wait until the 14th to officially take the offer and wait on Akron, but I'm a strong believer in instinct and feeling, not to mention professionalism. Having not heard that I am rejected or waitlisted by now is something I take as an insult so Akron, originally a top choice with my tip top POI, is now a school that I have written off. I suppose it is a passive aggressive form of rejection. I know I'm not a first choice or I would have heard something by now, but unless you really don't want to accept waitlisters I don't get how they can't even send out a generic BCC to all the waitlisters. I know the schools are the advantaged ones, only the very best applicants are in a bargaining position, but just as no safety school wants to think they are a safety even though everyone knows their overall rankings, waitlisters don't want to feel so unimportant that we aren't worth the time spent sending a proper rejection email. I forget where but a grad student at my undergrad, Colorado State University, this week told me about a decent program that never got back to them, ever.

Setite,

Again I have to agree with you. I'm still waiting on 2 schools and I'm getting to the point of just taking an offer I already have and cutting them loose before hearing anything. I'm tired of contacting them to get no answer at all. If I had any idea it would be like this I never would have wasted the time and money on the apps.

I do have a friend who was picked up off the wait-list on the 15th last year at a decently ranked program. He was pretty far down the list, but everyone else had taken offers so he got in. So really this approach of not communicating your position on the WL can actually serve to backfire for the school.

This whole process has made me somewhat bitter. I'm glad to not be going through this again. Additionally I am glad that I avoided clinical despite getting acceptances. I can't imagine running through the match for internship, what a nightmare.

KW58D,

That is exactly what I mean when I say it's unprofessional. I've considered the very real possibility that Akron could dig deep into their waitlist, come to me, and find that it's too late. In the grand scheme of things I take this as a good omen. For fun I like to pretend to be superstitious with small things, so I tell myself that the chips falling the way they have indicates that I would have been unhappy in Akron. Frankly, part of the reason I took an MA offer at UMSL (still shortlisted for PhD) is because the school AND the city just fit me better than Akron probably would have. I don't mean that Akron is a bad place/program, I wouldn't have applied there if I thought that, but believing that there that fate, kismet, and The Force is the reason for events like this hasn't steered me wrong yet. It's fun entertaining silliness like that while being a logical scientist :) If I sound more than a little crazy it's because I'm typing this an hour into my sleepy time, so off I go!

I completely sympathize with anyone that hasn't heard back at all from programs. I have received one acceptance from NC State and am waitlisted at FIT and UCF, but still have not heard a single thing from UGA, Clemson, Houston, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion, or Texas A&M  :blink:

Edited by sjw4852