Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

Cautionary Tale:

This applies to any who applied to Auburn or are applying to Auburn in the future. I verified with the program coordinator that my packet was complete far before the deadline. In the end I was rejected due to an incomplete packet (all documents were submitted on time, it was lost somewhere during processing I'm guessing). It's really frustrating to spend the money and time applying just to find out that your packet never even received a fair review because of a lack of due diligence and competence. It is further insulting to receive an email from someone at the school making accusations that you failed to complete your packet after the fact (despite the department verifying your packet was complete multiple times).

Just a heads up to those considering applying...

Edited by KW58D

Cautionary Tale:

This applies to any who applied to Auburn or are applying to Auburn in the future. I verified with the program coordinator that my packet was complete far before the deadline. In the end I was rejected due to an incomplete packet. It's really frustrating to spend the money and time applying just to find out that your packet never even received a fair review because of a lack of due diligence and competence. It is further insulting to receive an email from someone at the school making accusations that you failed to complete your packet after the fact (despite the department verifying your packet was complete multiple times.)

Just a heads up to those considering applying...

I didn't apply there, but so I know for next cycle, what was missing? Was it something you omitted since they told you it was complete, or did you submit it but they didn't get it. Honestly that is pretty messed up either way. For me, programs were kind enough to let me know something was missing since it was obvious I had tried to turn everything in.

Some documentation "went missing." They were sent in along with all other documents, so if they received one page they received them all. It's upsetting that after verifying completeness numerous times, I get an email rejection stating incomplete packet as the reason.

Some documentation "went missing." They were sent in along with all other documents, so if they received one page they received them all. It's upsetting that after verifying completeness numerous times, I get an email rejection stating incomplete packet as the reason.

I appreciate the info. I recall looking at Auburn early on and not "feeling" it. I would like to go to school in Alabama but after all the energy expended for such a bad football team at my current school, I was scared to go to a school where football is so much more important. As faulty as I know such a judgement is, I feel like your story may be evidence that I was right. Though looking at the website now I might be confusing them with another school. Auburn is the only Alabama school on my spreadsheet, but their website seems newer than I remember. It was probably 3 years ago that I first looked them up.

I appreciate the info. I recall looking at Auburn early on and not "feeling" it. I would like to go to school in Alabama but after all the energy expended for such a bad football team at my current school, I was scared to go to a school where football is so much more important. As faulty as I know such a judgement is, I feel like your story may be evidence that I was right. Though looking at the website now I might be confusing them with another school. Auburn is the only Alabama school on my spreadsheet, but their website seems newer than I remember. It was probably 3 years ago that I first looked them up.

I decided not to apply to Auburn after seeing on their website that a number of their students transferred to Texas A&M.

This is old info, but when I accepted the offer from BGSU I emailed Houston, Clemson, UConn, and Colorado State and told them to withdraw my application. I'm happy where I'm going to school next year (ecstatic, really), but it does annoy me that none of these schools got back to me until I emailed them this.

I decided not to apply to Auburn after seeing on their website that a number of their students transferred to Texas A&M.

Hmmm I don't recall the that, I didn't know they would publish that. I'll go find that now. I'm bored.

Did anyone get a wait-list notification from DePaul? I called and asked about it but received an ambiguous answer.

I let go of offers at DePaul, NCSU, and UNC-Charlotte. Wish you all the best.

Org Science at UNC Charlotte? Do you know how many offers they have out/if they have an informal wait list? My application still just says "submitted" and at least one person posted a rejection in the results section. Thanks in advance!

You wouldn't go to a school because of their football team? What does that have to do with their I/O program?

You wouldn't go to a school because of their football team? What does that have to do with their I/O program?

Not because of the team itself, but because of the institutions commitment to academics. This is the same reason I'd avoid a "party school". When I was researching I read a few personal stories and some editorials stating that Auburn's administration have made choices that hurt academics in favor of football. I have no idea how honest those editorials were, but just as schools need an excuse to whittle down the list of applicants, I needed criteria to whittle down the list of schools. So I chose things like perceived dedication to academics, crime rates, cost of living per square foot, an other things that don't necessarily have a bearing on the program itself.

EDIT: I tracked down one of the articles. I admit I am ignorant of whether this is a significant finding. I know such things were common, and maybe they still are. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/14/sports/ncaafootball/14auburn.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.wsfa.com/story/1557500/auburn-university-placed-on-probation

With regards to the probation, there were one or two schools I took off the list over financial concerns, for similar reasons that accreditation concerns me. The University system in my home state of Nevada technically went bankrupt a few years back. I had to transfer to CSU last minute because UNLV doesn't offer a third of their PSY UD classes. They don't even offer 300 or 400 level statistics! So I am acutely aware that things can go wrong at a school. It's unlikely that you can get into a program and have the program collapse around you but I believe in preparing for the worst.

EDIT2: Those articles are valid but the more I research Auburn now, since I have nothing better to do, the more I don't think its the school I'm thinking of. Is there another school in Alabama that has or had an IO Program? I recall a school I contacted told me that they had stopped their IO program, I wonder if thats the school I'm thinking of.

Edited by setite

Hmmm I don't recall the that, I didn't know they would publish that. I'll go find that now. I'm bored.

I don't think it was on the Auburn website. I think it was on the A&M website embedded in students' descriptions. 

I don't think it was on the Auburn website. I think it was on the A&M website embedded in students' descriptions. 

I believe that one of the faculty members left Auburn (possibly the program chair, don't quote me) and instead of staying with the school, a bunch of the students elected to leave as well. I don't have any details though, so I can't really shed any light.

I believe that one of the faculty members left Auburn (possibly the program chair, don't quote me) and instead of staying with the school, a bunch of the students elected to leave as well. I don't have any details though, so I can't really shed any light.

Oh that makes sense! I hadn't thought about it too thoroughly. 

Whatever you are talking about sounds like a great story! Since I'm spending Spring Break refreshing my e-mail, please someone find more info on this.

I may have gotten rejected from Virginia Tech today from their Ph.D program, but I was accepted to Claremont Graduate University for their masters program!!

So happy and so excited, that was my number one option! Although I applied to the Ph.D program, I was offered a masters position :) So much stress is off my shoulders now, PHEW! 

Do any of you guys by any chance know of a list of i/o psychology masters and phd programs where the GRE is not required to be admitted?

thanks!

I don't think there are such things. Since every IO program has more applicants than slots, they need a standardized bar by which to measure students. Since a GPA is not even 100% relative within the same institution, let alone different institutions.

You may find some online Masters programs that don't require the GRE. You need programs specifically for professionals going back to school. Even then they might be rare, my school has a online masters for professionals but I just checked and even it requires the GRE. I would venture a guess that if you can find a program without the GRE, it's not a program you want to go to. I know University of Phoenix has a PhD in IO that I bet doesn't need a GRE, but thats an online doctorate from UOP so.... .. .

EDIT: UoP used to have an IO PhD, looks like they got rid of it and only have a masters now. http://www.siop.org/reportsandminutes/CommitteeReports/Jan10/online_industrial.pdf

EDIT2: It looks like Capella has an Online IO PhD that requires no GRE http://www.capella.edu/online-degrees/phd-industrial-organizational-psychology/admission-requirements/

EDIT3: Just looking at the SIOP database Capella, Grand Canyon University, Keiser University, and NorthCentral University don't require GRE. I think they are all online type schools. http://www.siop.org/gtp/GtpLookup.asp

Edited by setite

Just in case anyone is interested, Penn State is starting to notify individuals on the waitlist. I had not heard a word from them until today.