High or Low?

m.giugno

Is better to apply to highest ranked university in Engineering? Even if it means no funds?

If my stats aren't that great and I will find difficult to manage the expenses of a high ranked school, isn't better apply at low ranked school and get some form of financial aid?

For example..

a 30th in my field (with no funding), costing 35k p/a

VS

a 80th (with funding) costing a 25k p/a

You should only apply to programs that match your research interests. Rankings aren't always all that indicative of a certain department's strength in a specific subfield anyway. If you aren't a good fit you won't be admitted, good grades or not. I think the best thing to do is to apply to both types of programs - both those you feel more sure will fund you and some "reaches". After you're admitted you'll be able to compare the concrete offers you'll get - that'll be the time to post back and ask us what we think.

If expense is the number one concern you have, apply to schools that tend to fund most/all of their students, regardless of rank. I would suggest making a list of schools that your research fits with--maybe 15-30--and then looking at the funding information for each school to narrow down the list.

I'm going to venture a guess and say no. Unless you're talking about a top-10 school with impeccable placement records for employment, go for the funded offers (even then I'd be hard pressed to recommend a school that'll get you into debt).

One step at a time, bro.

Exactly. No point discussing this. There are colleges in top 50 for engineering which give aid for half decent stats, but really no option guarantees anything. It might turn out that the higher ranked school offers aid and the lower ranked doesn't.

Exactly. No point discussing this. There are colleges in top 50 for engineering which give aid for half decent stats, but really no option guarantees anything. It might turn out that the higher ranked school offers aid and the lower ranked doesn't.

This is what i'm trying to turn out: where are better opportunities of obtaining financial aid?

This is what i'm trying to turn out: where are better opportunities of obtaining financial aid?

Places that accept you. I find those in particular have a remarkably higher rates of providing aid.

Apply to the places you want to go, worry about aid later. Especially in engineering.

Hello...

Nice information provided Ghionus because if you are getting benefit in low university than why to go for high university just because its famous. But one thing also be remember to whom you are giving importance because in high university placement is also high and don't have idea about low university...

a lot of students asked me whether a #1 or #10 or #20 schs better...(if the funding is inversely proportional to ranking...)

i just say that there wont be big differences no matter what they choose. it should be their future effort which determines.