Advice on where to apply

Profile :

165 V, 148 Q

3.9 Undergrad GPA

1 research published article in law journal 

fluent in Arabic & English

Interested in studying Middle Eastern politics/Islam

Any advice on where to apply? 

I'm hoping to apply to a mix of schools--but my quant score is worrying me. 

Help! 

Thank you!

I agree with Victorydance. The reason I think that I got into my school of choice is because I was a good fit for their program (my focus of study was Quebec voting behavior, so McGill fit perfectly). Find those faculty members that you wish to work with and say in your statement of purpose that you wish to work with them. I also think that having a clearly defined area of studies also helps. In my case, I said I wanted to study voting behavior in general, but specifically wanted to target the 2011 election in Quebec. If you can show that you are focused, I think that will help.

I agree with Victorydance. The reason I think that I got into my school of choice is because I was a good fit for their program (my focus of study was Quebec voting behavior, so McGill fit perfectly). Find those faculty members that you wish to work with and say in your statement of purpose that you wish to work with them. I also think that having a clearly defined area of studies also helps. In my case, I said I wanted to study voting behavior in general, but specifically wanted to target the 2011 election in Quebec. If you can show that you are focused, I think that will help.

Belanger or Gidengil?

Interesting, I will be working with them both on RAship assignments. As far as who I want as my adviser, I am not totally sure yet. I have some time since I start in September. Since I am concentrating on Quebec, I will probably work closely with Belanger. If I stay at McGill for my PhD, and work on voting behavior in the ROC, I might work closely with Gidengil. I haven't started yet anyway, so I have time.

The good news about the GRE is that from what I've seen, International Studies majors are notoriously poor at math. Even at some top-tier programs, I don't think your score is too far below average for MA applicants (and you GPA more than makes up for it). Unless of course you are applying for a PhD in which case I would maybe consider highlighting any quantitative course you did well in for undergrad since you would likely be required to take a few "methods" courses in social science statistics and research. Data analysis type stuff.

I think a lot of where you go depends on what you are trying to get out of grad school. Are you looking toward a more research/academic path or a more career oriented path?

For academic I would definitely agree with the above comments about finding compatible research scholars.

For professional goals, I would look into SAIS at Johns Hopkins and SFS at Georgetown. Both offer a mix of programs and you could approach your interests from a variety of perspectives and fields. Both are located in Washington DC (JHU has a small campus there) and are unbeatable for professional networking in your field. They are top notch and I think you have a very good chance at either of them. Maybe SIS at American or Elliot at GWU as backups if you are taking the professional route.

Hope this helps!

Interesting, I will be working with them both on RAship assignments. As far as who I want as my adviser, I am not totally sure yet. I have some time since I start in September. Since I am concentrating on Quebec, I will probably work closely with Belanger. If I stay at McGill for my PhD, and work on voting behavior in the ROC, I might work closely with Gidengil. I haven't started yet anyway, so I have time.

Cool stuff. I have similar interests but I chose Laval.

Edited by Pol

• 1 month later...

Cool stuff. I have similar interests but I chose Laval.

Well, maybe I will run into you and we can possibly collaborate on some work. Will you be working at the CSDC at all?

Well, maybe I will run into you and we can possibly collaborate on some work. Will you be working at the CSDC at all?

I've been a member for a year now but don't work there per se. They give out cool scholarships every year, keep an eye open for those. They bankrolled my stay at the ICPSR.

Edited by Pol