How Important are Publications

Meep_Meep

I am going to be applying for schools in the fall (particularly Stem Cell/Regenerative Medicine PhD programs) and I am wondering how crucial it is to have a publication as an undergraduate. Currently, I am second author on a publication that has recently been rejected, and I am unsure whether we will be accepted by the time my applications roll around. Is it possible to get into a relatively good/top school without a publication?

Here are my stats:

Undergraduate institution: Top 20 Private Research Institution

GPA: General: 3.90, Science: 3.917

Major: Neurobiology

Scores:

GRE: V: 168, Q:163

Biology Subject test: 89 percentile

Research Experience: I have been working in a cellular reprogramming lab for 3 years now and have 2 manuscripts in progress

LOR: 3 from Undergraduate professors, 1 from PI

Awards: 2014 Goldwater Scholarship

Schools I'm looking at:

NYU

WUSTL

Duke

Stanford

As far as I know, most schools don't expect a publication from an undergraduate.

Your stats seem good anyways. I think you have a shot in getting into at least one of the programs you are interested in.

You are more than OK, but keep working on the application! There are tons of qualified applicants and 99% of them don't have publications, but they have very good SOPs, LORs etc.

Your stats are baller, I wouldn't worry too much! Expand your list of schools, 4 is not enough, aim for 8-10 that are a mix of dream schools and safer choices (but research fit is most important!). Pubs from an undergrad are very rare, I only had some 'cause I have worked for 4 years post-BA. 

I think that having them looks amazing but that not having them is probably normal. Your level of understanding of your research area will be more important. Your SOP and interviews will reveal how well you know your area of study, regardless of publications.

As a student at WUSTL: your stats are awesome :). Don't worry! Spend some time with your SOP and know your field as well as you can for interviews.

Best of luck with your applications!