Any SLP's feeling discouraged

I"m an SLP undergraduate student in NY. I went to see my advisor and she saw my GPA which is unfortunately a 3.2 (it's amazing what a D+ and a C can do to your GPA, but i'm going to retake those courses) like i was saying met with my advisor and she said i should reconsider my major. She also said that no school would even look at my application, and i shouldn't even apply to any school (that hurt). But at the same time i know how competitive this field is but this is something i really want to do. So i will try to increase my GPA, and I will be volunteering in a clinic this Fall, and I'm joining walk events (Austism Speaks) this summer. If it's necessary i will apply out of state, and apply too as many grad schools. Wish me luck!

• 2 months later...

well your advisor seems a bit rude! You know, if I can't get into any grad programs for speech pathology, I think I might consider pursuing a career in advising for a time being. I don't know how some people get those jobs..they are supposed to be there to advise and help you, not tear you down every waking chance they get! Jeez! Well don't be too discouraged. I go to University of South Florida in Tampa,Fl and the minimum requirement is a 3.2 with a 460 on verbal and a 470 on math for the GRE scores. I have a 3.0 right now and I'm in the process of preparing for the GRE. I spoke with one of my professors and she said because I don't have the GPA right now, I should focus on getting a great GRE score. She advised me to shoot for close to a 1200 (ay dios mio!) but I'm trying to study for that now over the summer and take it at least once before the fall semester begins. I'm nervous about getting in somewhere too which is why I went on google lookin up stuff and luckily found this site! Glad to know I'm not the only one goin a tad crazy. Well anyway hope you don't give up the fight and I'm going to get back to studying for this Neuroanatomy test I have in 7 hours! ugggh.

Hmmm... missed this thread earlier, the OP probably isn't reading anymore, but just in case: 2.6 here, I got in, got funded and my new advisor seems pretty excited to have me in his lab. It happens. I'm not in your field, but you've got .6 on me, so I think there's gotta be some hope there. :)

I don't know what a D+ can do to a transcript since that grade wasn't offered at my school, but I sure do know what an F can do to one! Actually I'm happy to report that I have received the entire spectrum of grades my institution has to offer. (Well except NP actually. But I got A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, F, P, W, so I think that's still a decent collection.)

The OP had a super rude adviser just like I did for my undergraduate research work (done for no credits..just out of my own interest). He said something very similar looking at my application and he didn't even know about the field to which I was applying (different from Physics, in which I have my ug degree). Almost every single university I applied to had professors interested in my application due to my research experience. IN a lot of places, it reduced to funding decisions where I was a bit unlucky in some places. My GPA didn't hurt me a lot in the end. It did for the top ranked programs though.. but I am attending a very decent program indeed. Concentrate on your SOP and GRE. Do not get a LOR from this person if you think he/she might write negatively about you.

That advisor might be rude, but she may also be accurate. No one wants to hear that they aren't cut out for grad school, but not everyone is. If you are really serious about the field, OP, you should try to get the best grades possible from here on out, ace the GRE and work on your writing skills. This last one is important.

Consider your advisor's words a warning and a challenge to improve your work, and don't get hung up on critical feedback. If it motivates you to increase your effort, then your advisor has done you a favor.

I am an SLP grad student that is in the 3rd week of grad school. Never let someone discourage you. I attend Florida State University. I had a 3.1 and an 850 going into this program. My GPA was low because I entered into another program prior to speech and hated it so really was irresponsible and didnt care. I feel that if I can get then you can get in. I got into both schools that I applied to. With FSU they even are paying partial tuition. I had a professor tell me that back in 2006. I will never forget her name. She told me that i was not graduate material, however, I have just recently completed my MA degree in Exceptional Education, and am going to get my 2nd masters in Speech. Have faith in yourself. Sorry for seeming to be angry but I am. I really don't like when people try to discourage other people. In my opinion, grad school is so much more easier than undergrad. It's more hands on and not striclty papers and tests. it's more about application. What school do you attend if u dont mind me asking. Good luck!

That advisor might be rude, but she may also be accurate.

I disagree with the viewpoint that an advisor might know better. You alone know why you had the grades you had in certain courses. If those are not even relevant to your new field of study and if you aced related courses and have had the pertinent research experience, you would know if you had the capacity to do well in grad school. I did not do well in core engg courses like fluid mechanics (because I hated the exams. They only required you to have enormous patience with calculators and I had other things to do at that time, things that ultimately helped me get a few offers, things that helped me become a better musician, etc). Fluid mechanics is not even remotely related to cognitive psychology. So, a self evaluating capacity is also important, esp if you are a prospective grad student. I agree with the above post. If you know you can do it, never let anybody discourage you.

I didn't say that the advisor certainly knows better than the student, just that the advisor might be right (and definitely knows the student better than some people on a message board). I also didn't say that it was impossible for the student to go on and be successful in grad school. But rather than thinking that the advisor is a big ol' meany who just loves to make students feel bad, the poster should listen to the advice, use it as a template to improve, and then do the work to improve. Better to know the weaknesses in an application now than after you apply.

I didn't say that the advisor certainly knows better than the student, just that the advisor might be right (and definitely knows the student better than some people on a message board). I also didn't say that it was impossible for the student to go on and be successful in grad school. But rather than thinking that the advisor is a big ol' meany who just loves to make students feel bad, the poster should listen to the advice, use it as a template to improve, and then do the work to improve. Better to know the weaknesses in an application now than after you apply.

"You shouldn't even apply"/"No school will even look at your application" doesn't help in any way. It does not tell the OP about his/her weaknesses in the application. Had the adviser said "Your GPA is horrible.. why don't you send updated transcripts after doing well this current semester and try and improve scores" or "Score a 1500 on the GRE" or whatever, I'd have agreed with your viewpoint.

Also what do you mean by "listen to the advice"? Don't apply at all? :P

• 2 months later...

Omg I am so glad I read this! My advisor told me the same thing. I am an undergraduate major in communicative disorders with a 3.18 gpa. I have been working in an early intervention program for a year on top of holding another part time job. My advisor has 'encouraged' me to apply to a masters program in a different field. She too told me becoming an SlP might not be my best option. I am passionate about this career and really really want to get into a masters program. I don't know what to do though because I have never established relationships with any of my professors. That means I don't have anybody to write my letters of recommendation. What do I do? Help please!

• 1 month later...

I am an SLP grad student that is in the 3rd week of grad school. Never let someone discourage you. I attend Florida State University. I had a 3.1 and an 850 going into this program. My GPA was low because I entered into another program prior to speech and hated it so really was irresponsible and didnt care. I feel that if I can get then you can get in. I got into both schools that I applied to. With FSU they even are paying partial tuition. I had a professor tell me that back in 2006. I will never forget her name. She told me that i was not graduate material, however, I have just recently completed my MA degree in Exceptional Education, and am going to get my 2nd masters in Speech. Have faith in yourself. Sorry for seeming to be angry but I am. I really don't like when people try to discourage other people. In my opinion, grad school is so much more easier than undergrad. It's more hands on and not striclty papers and tests. it's more about application. What school do you attend if u dont mind me asking. Good luck!

Thanks you make me feel so much better=)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is waaaay late, but to anyone reading this and freaking out:

Last year I got into 2 of the 4 SLP grad schools I applied to, with two Cs and an F on my transcript.

It can be done.

(Rest of app: Linguistics undergrad major; 3.5 overall GPA; spent a lot of time on my essays; good rec letters but none from my undergraduate major department, which probably looked a little suspicious; GRE on the high end of the average range; 3.5 overall GPA; relevant full-time work experience.)

Edited by TulipOHare