The GRE

Ilikekitties

Now I have not taken the GRE yet, but I plan to take it either in December or January before I study abroad, that way I'll have plenty of time to retake it when I return. I will be taking an online prep course beforehand.

I'm afraid that my GRE scores may be the weakest point of my application. I know from past experiences that my standardized test scores have always been, well, not great. My GPA is decent and I have research experience/and I am currently conducting research.

What scores should I be looking at if I want to enter a top PhD program for cultural anthropology? At what percentiles?

GREs are definitely not the most important part of your application, but for tippy-top schools I think you'll want to aim for 160+ on the V section. For cultural anthropology, I doubt that the Q score is all that important. I would try for a score of 210 combined, as some schools have arbitrary cut-offs at the grad school division level in order for you to receive funding. 

Edited by hj2012

• 2 weeks later...

GREs are definitely not the most important part of your application, but for tippy-top schools I think you'll want to aim for 160+ on the V section. For cultural anthropology, I doubt that the Q score is all that important. I would try for a score of 210 combined, as some schools have arbitrary cut-offs at the grad school division level in order for you to receive funding. 

I presume that you meant 310 and not 210? haha

Regardless of typos, hj2012 is right. Verbal and writing is the most important, but quantitative does matter to an extent. For the best schools, you'll want to be at least a 310, if not 315 or 320, and your writing score should be at least a 5.0

I presume that you meant 310 and not 210? haha

Regardless of typos, hj2012 is right. Verbal and writing is the most important, but quantitative does matter to an extent. For the best schools, you'll want to be at least a 310, if not 315 or 320, and your writing score should be at least a 5.0

Oops! Yup, silly typo. And I agree that the higher the better, though the costs / benefits of studying for the GRE to inch it up a few more points will depend on the person. If you're looking at a low undergrad GPA, for example, I think the GRE takes on greater importance. 

Edited by hj2012

Oops! Yup, silly typo. And I agree that the higher the better, though the costs / benefits of studying for the GRE to inch it up a few more points will depend on the person. If you're looking at a low undergrad GPA, for example, I think the GRE takes on greater importance. 

Definitely. If GRE scores are too low the first time around, retaking is beneficial.

My first GRE score was 306, mostly because I didn't study enough to brush up on my quant. The second score was a 315, which made me eligible for fellowship funding.

So, $185 now could be $20,000 or more down the road.

... That said, it's obviously best to do better the first time. haha

• 2 weeks later...

It's obviously better to have better scores, but I don't think it'll necessarily mean you won't get accepted anywhere. My GRE scores weren't the best, and I still got in and got offered fellowships at both places. In one case, I my advisor asked me for my thesis, so that he'd be able to show that I'm a good candidate for a fellowship regardless of my score, and I was able to get that fellowship. This is just from my experience though, and it definitely can change on an individual basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the GRE in May and scored a 161 V and 154 Q, putting me at a 315 combined score. I'm not entirely enthused by these marks but if what you all are saying is true, I suppose they will suffice. However, I am still worried by my 3.5 in the writing section. I knew that I had botched the analyze an issue essay as soon as it ended (setting a terrible mood for the rest of the test). Is this enough reason to retake the GRE? I'm really not as poor a writer as my score suggests, and my SOP and writing sample should attest to the adequacy of my writing ability. Though my 3.56 GPA is nothing special (I goofed off a bit as a young undergraduate), I did manage a 4.0 my last two semesters. Additionally, I have 6 graduate level credit hours from a field school that I have just completed and for which I am fairly certain that I will receive an A. Nevertheless, I am applying to relatively elite programs: NYU, Goldsmith's University of London, and University of Michigan Ann Arbor. In your opinion, are these elements of my application adequate enough to nullify a non-representative writing score, or should I go ahead and invest my time and effort into a retake?

Edited by Lames

I took the GRE in May and scored a 161 V and 154 Q, putting me at a 315 combined score. I'm not entirely enthused by these marks but if what you all are saying is true, I suppose they will suffice. However, I am still worried by my 3.5 in the writing section. I knew that I had botched the analyze an issue essay as soon as it ended (setting a terrible mood for the rest of the test). Is this enough reason to retake the GRE? I'm really not as poor a writer as my score suggests, and my SOP and writing sample should attest to the adequacy of my writing ability. Though my 3.56 GPA is nothing special (I goofed off a bit as a young undergraduate), I did manage a 4.0 my last two semesters. Additionally, I have 6 graduate level credit hours from a field school that I have just completed and for which I am fairly certain that I will receive an A. Nevertheless, I am applying to relatively elite programs: NYU, Goldsmith's University of London, and University of Michigan Ann Arbor. In your opinion, are these elements of my application adequate enough to nullify a non-representative writing score, or should I go ahead and invest my time and effort into a retake?

I would definitely recommend a retake. No offense meant, but a 3.5 is not a particularly good writing score, and it's pretty easy to improve your essays. Most programs want you to have at least a 4.0, but I would recommend going even higher.

Your verbal and quant scores are fine. I'm not sure about the elite schools, though, given your profile- you may want to look at some other high-ranking programs that aren't as competitive. I can't speak for you on this, and I say that if it's what you want to do you should definitely give it a try.. What subfield are you looking at?

I understand the bad essay setting a dark mood for the rest of the GRE.  My mentor told me her GRE was terrible and yet she was admitted to a top school.  She's an awesome writer, though.  My GRE wasn't that great so I studied off and on for a month and re-took it.  On my second try I got 168V/157Q/5.0 so was pretty happy with a combined 325.  BTW, the real problem was my first attempt resulted in a 4.0AWA which bothered me.  I hope that the better score at least helps me with funding.

I would definitely recommend a retake. No offense meant, but a 3.5 is not a particularly good writing score, and it's pretty easy to improve your essays. Most programs want you to have at least a 4.0, but I would recommend going even higher.

Your verbal and quant scores are fine. I'm not sure about the elite schools, though, given your profile- you may want to look at some other high-ranking programs that aren't as competitive. I can't speak for you on this, and I say that if it's what you want to do you should definitely give it a try.. What subfield are you looking at?

No offense taken, Im looking for these kinds of straight forward answers. Im applying to sociocultural programs, particularly those that have a historical/economic focus. I recognize and appreciate that I should probably both retake the GRE and shoot for less competitive programs. Do you have any suggestions?

No offense taken, Im looking for these kinds of straight forward answers. Im applying to sociocultural programs, particularly those that have a historical/economic focus. I recognize and appreciate that I should probably both retake the GRE and shoot for less competitive programs. Do you have any suggestions?

Yeah, for sociocultural you'll definitely want to strengthen your writing score. All of the possible prompts are online; the best way to approach it in my opinion is to familiarize yourself with what they're looking for. I don't know what kind of writing background you have, but my undergrad institution had us writing constantly. When it came time for the GRE, the writing section was a piece of cake.

Historical/economic anthropology isn't my focus (I'm an environmental/landscape anthropologist). I'm at OSU and we do have one economic person on faculty (Jeffrey Cohen), so maybe take a look at him. Indiana University also has a few economic anthropologists. If you peek there I'd look at Ed Brondizio and Richard Wilk.

Yeah, for sociocultural you'll definitely want to strengthen your writing score. All of the possible prompts are online; the best way to approach it in my opinion is to familiarize yourself with what they're looking for. I don't know what kind of writing background you have, but my undergrad institution had us writing constantly. When it came time for the GRE, the writing section was a piece of cake.

Historical/economic anthropology isn't my focus (I'm an environmental/landscape anthropologist). I'm at OSU and we do have one economic person on faculty (Jeffrey Cohen), so maybe take a look at him. Indiana University also has a few economic anthropologists. If you peek there I'd look at Ed Brondizio and Richard Wilk.

thanks!

I know I'm going to bomb the math.  I might survive the verbal.  I've already started studying but standardized tests and me have a long bad history.   Anyone got any ideas regarding damage control?