Question for new students at the Elliot School, Fall 09

I am going to the Elliot School this fall, but I wasn't able to attend the Prospective Students Visiting Day last month. After sending in my decision letter, I got one very cryptic note from the Admissions office acknowledging receipt of my deposit, but I haven't heard anything since. I called the admissions office today to see when I would be hearing from them (i.e. concerning registration, adviser info, orientation dates, etc...all the info new students need), and they replied back that from here on out, I wouldn't be hearing from them, I should expect to here from some other office.

I feel adrift, and quite lost as to what to expect next. For example, are we just to look up classes on the internet and register for them? What about hearing about financial aid awards (really, what loan amount we've been approved for)? I was sent a link by the admissions office a while ago which connected me to the Financial Aid website. It directed me to 1) fill out a loan questionnaire 2)go through an entrance interview online and 3)sign a Master Promissory Note...ALL before they would even tell me what loan options were available to me, or how much I qualified for.

This all seems a little strange to me, and I'm very much feeling like I'm getting the cold shoulder from the Elliot School, after having decided to give them my money. Anyone else have any thoughts, or different experiences?

I'll be heading to the Elliott school this Fall as well, and have had a similar experience. I sent in my deposit fairly close to the deadline (about a week prior) and I haven't even been told it was received, so consider yourself lucky on that front.

Regarding financial aid, if you read their website and the information packet that first went out to you, they have the directions that you mentioned. You basically have to fill out a loan request form, choose a lender, and request your amount. The priority deadline was May 1st, so hopefully you've done that. I've been offered $0 in terms of fellowships, so I just requested the full amount of tuition and expenses in way of loans. $20,500 is the max you can request for the Stafford loan, and I asked for another $20,000 in Graduate PLUS loans. Neither have been formally approved yet, and I haven't heard a peep from GW since their reminder to send in deposits.

I'm basically taking them on faith right now, and assume my deposit has been received and my financial aid info is being processed. I did attend the Accepted Student day, and I think I heard someone say that we'll be getting another info packed towards the end of May with the information that you were talking about (how much in loans we're approved for, and probably some info on what we should do next). I'm having cold feet after requesting over $40,000 in loans anyways, so if for some reason everything falls through and they never received my deposit, it might be a blessing in disguise.

PS - Oh, I wanted to add one caveat from admitted student day that was a bit of a surprise for me. Someone in the crowd asked "If we weren't offered a fellowship this year, is it possible for us to receive one during our second year?" To which Mr. Miles replied, "I'm going to be honest with you. It is very unlikely you'll be offered a fellowship if you were not offered one already." I appreciate his honesty, but I was surprised. That's a pretty different policy than, say, Columbia which states that "10% of 1st year students receive a fellowship, but 70% of second year students end up getting some sort of financial aid."

**I looked at my bank account after posting this, and GW just cashed the check I sent them. The cold feet is rapidly becoming paralysis as the prospect of debt becomes increasingly real.**

I'll be heading to the Elliott school this Fall as well, and have had a similar experience. I sent in my deposit fairly close to the deadline (about a week prior) and I haven't even been told it was received, so consider yourself lucky on that front.

I'm basically taking them on faith right now, and assume my deposit has been received and my financial aid info is being processed. I did attend the Accepted Student day, and I think I heard someone say that we'll be getting another info packed towards the end of May with the information that you were talking about (how much in loans we're approved for, and probably some info on what we should do next). I'm having cold feet after requesting over $40,000 in loans anyways, so if for some reason everything falls through and they never received my deposit, it might be a blessing in disguise.

**I looked at my bank account after posting this, and GW just cashed the check I sent them. The cold feet is rapidly becoming paralysis as the prospect of debt becomes increasingly real.**

Thanks for your response...I'm not sure it is comforting. I was hoping I was just out of the loop. I actually had to DIG for the acknowledgment of my deposit. I went to the apply online page and signed into my original application; that's where I found the cryptic letter from Mr. Miles. It wasn't sent to my regular email. Yeah, I requested the same amounts from Stafford and PLUS...haven't heard anything except for some confusion from the Customer Service Center (aka Sallie Mae) about my correct social security number....?????? That's slightly scary.

As for registering, speaking with an adviser, etc., I guess that will have to wait. So much for getting things started early!

africagirl,

One thing that I am trying to get a jump on is housing and jobs/internships. I don't live in the area, so I will need to be moving down to DC sometime this summer. From what I've found, most apartment complexes have a 60 day notice policy. I'm thinking of doing an August 1st move-in date, so that would mean that I start looking in earnest at the end of May/beginning of June for a place to live. Hearing from other's past experience or advice here could be useful.

I've also been keeping an eye out for any job openings in the area, and have applied to one already. As for internships, I find almost all that begin in the Fall have a application deadline of July 15, so we have some time there.

Just thought this info might be helpful.

In a way I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one feeling completely adrift about what the next step is regarding incoming students to the Elliott School. I couldn't help but wonder what happened. They were in regular contact during March and the first couple weeks of April. Then I accept their offer of admission, send a deposit, and then crickets. I finally looked and saw that they had cashed my check. Then I logged into the original application and came across the tersely worded letter from Mr. Miles that included no indication of what's next. I also received a non-Elliott School grant from the university, which I accepted over 3 weeks ago and have not so much as heard a peep from the graduate student services office either. The process of applying for the loans had a really DIY approach that I found a bit unusual for a university too. The thing that really concerns me is that when looking at the fall schedule of classes, I saw that some of the classes were already filling up. Some of them might have even filled up completely in the last week, so once again, not sure where that leaves incoming students. Hopefully nadir heard right and we'll be receiving a packet of info toward the end of the month.

I have to say that all of this stands in contrast to my previous experiences. Last year I accepted admission to the Ford School at U of M. As soon as I did, there were current students calling, emails about creating a school logon and email, all the info about my financial aid was soon available, and they created a mailing list forum for the incoming class to be able to interact with each other throughout the transition period. Pretty late in the game I was able to defer admission in the hopes of getting into a program more suitable to my interests. I'm also currently an online student in the Texas A&M Bush School Homeland Security program, and I must say that their office of distance education was also far more communicative in the post-admission process too. Anyway, all this is not to say that we won't soon be flooded with communication from GW, but so far there's definitely a feeling of not knowing/uncertainty that I didn't expect to have. Maybe this all has something to do with the larger than usual number of applicants and possibly admits.

Still looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! :D

Yeah, I briefly looked at housing on craigslist last week, but all the good listings were snapped up in a few days. I live in NC and couldn't get up there to see them. I'll be up in DC the first week of June. So, that's when I'll be looking too...just hope I can find something good (i.e. a place to live alone for less than $1000...wonder if that is feasible, or if it would take a miracle).

I'm trying to line up internships as well. I called the Elliot School Career Office today and they said they couldn't help me do anything until the end of June...not even talk with a counselor. So, yes, I'm pursuing outside opportunities. I would like to find a job, but am in a quandary as to what to look for--stay with my old career (i.e. teaching/tutoring), or try to break into my new field if possible.

As for the classes filling up, I noticed that too...but I figured that since all the new students have to take core classes, they won't fill up anytime soon. Besides...I'm still trying to figure out if I wanna do an MA in IA with an International Security Studies concentration, or if I want to get an MA in Security Studies...and what's the difference anyway???? I haven't been able to get in touch with the prof who overseas both programs.

Looks like the SPS is more along the lines of strictly security studies than the ISP specialization. Two specialized fields, different core classes, maybe one less econ class, less emphasis on language in the MA IA. According to Professor Spear, you can only apply 1 unit of language to the SPS degree but up to six units to the MA IA. How is it that you can choose which one to be in at this point? Did you apply to both programs or are you planning on trying to change from one to the other??

Looks like the SPS is more along the lines of strictly security studies than the ISP specialization. Two specialized fields, different core classes, maybe one less econ class, less emphasis on language in the MA IA.

Yes, that's what one would think, but when one compares the course offerings for both, there's a lot of overlap. I think the main difference I can see is in core classes.

According to Professor Spear, you can only apply 1 unit of language to the SPS degree but up to six units to the MA IA. How is it that you can choose which one to be in at this point? Did you apply to both programs or are you planning on trying to change from one to the other??

I compared econ differences, as that's important to me (to avoid!), and they both require the same. As for language, SPS requires a tools component which can be either statistics or language. But from what I understood Jeff to say(for either SPS or IA, as there were people doing both in the meeting), the language is completely separate--i.e. you can take language classes at a community college while you're at GW, just as long as you pass the exam that last semester. And, yes, I may try to switch programs. It seems like Elliot is pretty fluid with that. Not like GU's MSFS and SSP. Maybe I'm misinformed?

Then again...I didn't get to go to the visiting students day. I'm basing all my info on what I've read on the website and meeting with Jeff when I was there. I could be totally off base on all the above, and I would appreciate someone who was at the Visiting Students Day to set me straight.

They could very well be fluid about changing degree programs...I really don't know. I was just curious as to how you had that option at this point. Just my opinion, but between the two I would go with the SPS over the IA IPS specialization. IA/IR has really turned into a popular pursuit the past couple of years, especially this year from everything I've read. In a couple years, that could leave you competing with lots of other people who have the more generic sounding MA in IA/IR. If you want a master's in security policy/studies, it seems like GT and GW are the two best places to do it. More narrow focus, more specialized career options later. Not discounting SAIS at all, but their strategic studies program has a much more military inclination than these two. Then again, if you think you might develop some other interests in IR, the IA degree might be the better option. As I've read someone on here say, that's just my .02.

As far as language study goes, you can apply up to 6 units of language classes as part your electives toward the IA degree. So, while not required, you can still use these classes as part of your degree program. That's good for tuition purposes, as you wouldn't be paying in excess of the total 40 unit amount to take a coulpe foreign languages courses. For the SPS, you can only apply 1 unit of language study toward your total of 40 units. Obviously not required either. You can also go the econ tool route, and avoid language study altogether, but it seems like you want to avoid too much of that. When I asked Professor Spear what students in the SPS do regarding additional language study, her response was that she recommends students take language courses at the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Grad School. Classes are $375 each, as opposed to $3,195 for a 3-credit class at GW that's outside of your degree program. She also mentioned that the synagogue on campus offers free Arabic classes that are open to everyone.

On a final note, as I was composing this post, I received an email from GWU thanking me for my deposit and stating that registration info will be sent out on May 14th.

I'm not a GW student or alum, but just wanted to say something about courses filling up. I know that LBJ held a certain number of spaces for incoming students in almost all of the fall classes. The courses would show up as full in the registration system, even though there were spaces reserved for first year students. I don't know if GW does this too, but they might.