Australian Universities

Hello all! I'm a Canadian looking into applying for Australian SLP programs, however I can't seem to find any information on what their average admissions gpa is like- I know most of them require a 4 or a 4.5/7 minimum, but are they like Canadian universities (where they say 3 or 3.3/4 minimum, but really only look at applicants who are 3.5 or above)?. I've emailed a couple of the universities but haven't gotten any responses yet. Anyone have any clue? Cheers!

Hi! Another Canadian who applied to Australian programs here.

I applied through Oztrekk to the University of Queensland and was accepted, although I ultimately turned it down to wait for the Canadian/American schools application cycle, as the Australian term commences in February instead of September. They were prompt in answering my questions and knowledgeable of the admissions process at each of the schools so I strongly suggest you contact them :). The rehabilitation sciences admissions officer, Shannon Tilston is AMAZING. I can tell you that UQ does look at applications with a 65% GPA and higher and Macquarie and Melbourne are a bit more competitive. She told me that she felt I was competitive with my 3.1 GPA at UQ and she was right.

Another thing to consider (I'm sure you've already researched this but I thought I would point it out in case) is that the tuition is insanely expensive and there are not many Canadian to Australian scholarships :(. In addition, I don't think any of the Canadian banks yet consider SLP to be a professional program so you likely won't qualify for a professional student line of credit (which usually means more money!). I think the regular student line of credit is usually capped at 10-15K a year. Their requirements are also slightly different. For example for Audiology, I was told in my offer letter that UQ only provides 250 clinical hours and I would have to make up the additional 100 hours to meet CASLPA requirements in Canada. I'm not sure if it is the same for SLP, but be aware that you may have to do some extra work in order to practice in Canada. Or maybe you will end up staying in Australia! Haha.

Here is the link for Oztrekk and feel free to pm me with any additional questions! I was in contact with an audiologist who went to UQ and a med school student who is currently at UQ. I could possibly put you in touch with one of them. Good luck! http://oztrekk.com/

Edited by DeafAudi

Hey! Just to add on to what DeafAudi said, RBC does now consider SLP as a professional program so you can get a much higher line of credit through them than the regular student line of credit! I'm not sure about the other banks but definitely something to keep in mind if you end up deciding to go the Australian route'

Edited by Slp1989

Melbourne is a very new program and they do not meet CASLPA clinical requirements at this time. It's only Macquarie and UQ both of which also offer the audiology requirements for CASLPA and CASLPO.  I submitted my applications directly to UQ and I was accepted but had to turn it down since I didn't have the money. As for funding options, at the time, SLP and AUD weren't considered professional programs, but thanks to the efforts of CASLPA, Royal Bank has now included them. :)

Two reasons made me decide not to continue my re-application for Australian schools: I have been in touch with CASLPA and ASHA and I was told graduating from the States or Canada makes it easier if one plans to work in these countries. I do plan on working in US someday and it would allow me to skip the major hurdles (CFY, Praxis). I've decided to re-apply for Canadian and American schools and in the process of completing my post-bac courses to try again one more time. In addition to my professional plans, finances also played a role in my decision. As Canadians, we don't have the income-based repayment plan like FAFSA and I do plan to also buy a house and perhaps have children someday too. I would not want to have over $100K in student debt.

I have a different experience working with educational agents. If I were you, contact the admissions at UQ directly over Oztrekk. Oztrekk acts like a job agency. They screen applicants and if you've ever worked a temp agency, that's the service you will get. After I was rejected, the admissions officer was encouraging me to pursue other programs I was eligible and more likely to be accepted because if you get accepted, that's how they make money. INSTEAD of providing options to enhance my application, this was the alternative academic advice I received. Oztrekk offers scholarships for $500 but that's on the condition that you complete your first semester successfully. I know many classmates who were accepted to UQ without using Oztrekk. Please seriously consider your goals and my experiences before deciding to apply for Australian schools.

Patont, do you have the information for the RBC professional student line of credit program? I was looking at their website the other day and didn't see SLP or Audiology ("The Royal Credit Line for Students – Professional Designation is available to students who are pursuing select degrees that include: optometry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, podiatry, nursing, chiropractic, law, engineering, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, MBA/EMBA and accountancy"). I know that Scotiabank does offer it for Audiology though :)

Edited by DeafAudi