Do I have a chance??

lexiewolfe

I'm looking to get into a clinical PhD program in Fall 2015 but I'm nervous that I don't even have a chance. I spent the first 4.5 years of college (that includes the 3 years in high school I spent earning my AA) going for Biomedical Science and Dentistry. However, I hated the classes and knew Psychology was my calling. Sadly, my GPA suffered my last semester as a Biomed major and it brought my cumulative GPA to a 3.47. I have 2 semesters left and I have figured I should be able to get my GPA back up to about a 3.65. My Psychology GPA is a 3.98 so I'm not too worried about that. I have 2 research positions and I am hoping to have my name on my first publication by the end of the application period. I take my GRE in August for the first time and am slightly worried but I have just begun really studying for it and only need minor improvements on my sections to meet enrollment averages for my top school. I should have 3 strong letters of rec and my area of interest is really defined. In fact both of my research positions tap into my areas of interest. I am confident that my undergrad school will be a safe backup for me as I work under the grad professor that is my POI for the school but I want out of state. Even though my GPA suffered and I don't have publications yet, will I still have a decent chance if my GRE scores and letter of rev's are on point?

Thanks for any input! This is super stressful because for 19 years I fully intended to be applying to dental school by now so I feel underprepared.

Relax. Your GPA isn't too bad. As long as you do well on your GREs, you should be okay. Remember to apply to schools that have the people you want - don't apply based on so-called rankings. You may want to apply to a few Master's programs just in case, but I don't see anything that raises red flags based on what you've written here.

Thanks for the input! I know my GPA isn't bad in the whole scheme of things but being a perfectionist makes me think it is horrible. So thanks for the reassurance.

I second what Lisa44201 said - your GPA is fine.  Do well on the GRE to demonstrate your strengths (though really, 3.5+ GPA is good), but nothing about your profile sticks out as a problem.  In fact, you should be in good shape by the time application due dates roll around.  Relax, and try not to stress out too much throughout this arduous process. :) Enjoy it as much as you can.