GRE Subject Test -- Registration Open!

Hi folks,

Just FYI, registration for the GRE Literature Subject test has just opened (I checked a couple of hours ago and it was still closed, but just checked a few minutes ago...and it's now open). September 27th and October 25th are the two dates available for this application period. Obviously I recommend you sign up a.s.a.p. to ensure you get a slot... The deadline to register is August 15th.

The fee is $150.

Good luck!

Shaun / Wyatt's Torch

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

You're most welcome.

I just realized that I'll have to miss a close friend's wedding for this. Already had the hotel room booked and everything (it's several hours away). :( I just don't want to risk taking the October 25th date, given some of the horror stories I've read about misplaced scores. There's just no way I can do both, so the GRE it is. Sigh.

Thanks for the hint Wyatt - now to procrastinate signing up because I dread this exam so much! :P

Haha...don't do it!!! I'm guessing the overall number of test-takers is probably going to be fairly low, but I was delighted to discover that ETS has a subject testing location a mere two miles away from where I live. The place I go to for the general test is over 50 miles away. So it's good to sign up early for that reason as well...to get the nearest location!

You're most welcome.

I just realized that I'll have to miss a close friend's wedding for this. Already had the hotel room booked and everything (it's several hours away). :( I just don't want to risk taking the October 25th date, given some of the horror stories I've read about misplaced scores. There's just no way I can do both, so the GRE it is. Sigh.

Ugh, that sucks. Sorry to hear that!

Ugh, that sucks. Sorry to hear that!

Actually, I had a brainwave earlier and realized I could probably change the testing location. Turns out there's a testing center in Ithaca, about 25 miles from where the wedding will be taking place. So other than having to spend $50 on a change fee, I'll be able to do both the GRE Subject Test AND go to the wedding.

Actually, I had a brainwave earlier and realized I could probably change the testing location. Turns out there's a testing center in Ithaca, about 25 miles from where the wedding will be taking place. So other than having to spend $50 on a change fee, I'll be able to do both the GRE Subject Test AND go to the wedding.

Holy cow, that's going to be quite the weekend! Good for you, dude! Stay hydrated. XD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it's kind of late for the response, but it's funny that you say you had to change location, cause I think I'm taking my subject test in Fredericksburg. We could have been test taking in the same place!

I know it's kind of late for the response, but it's funny that you say you had to change location, cause I think I'm taking my subject test in Fredericksburg. We could have been test taking in the same place!

Ah! That's too bad! I live literally about a mile and a half away from the testing center too. Had it not been for the wedding in upstate New York, it would have been so incredibly convenient on a number of levels.

Here's a question for those of you who have registered: have you received your admission ticket yet? For that matter, have you been able to log in to view your admission ticket online? I haven't received a ticket in the mail (it's been over four weeks now) and logging in with the registration number takes me to a "your request cannot be processed" page. Anyone with similar results?

WT,

I have been able to log in and access (and print) my subject test admissions ticket--I received an emailed link to it the day after I registered. The weird thing is that the registration confirmation email says "a ticket will be mailed to you in X weeks," while the email I received with the link to the ticket says that no paper ticket will be mailed!

Ah! That's too bad! I live literally about a mile and a half away from the testing center too. Had it not been for the wedding in upstate New York, it would have been so incredibly convenient on a number of levels.

Here's a question for those of you who have registered: have you received your admission ticket yet? For that matter, have you been able to log in to view your admission ticket online? I haven't received a ticket in the mail (it's been over four weeks now) and logging in with the registration number takes me to a "your request cannot be processed" page. Anyone with similar results?

I'm taking the Subject test on Sept. 27. When I tried to access my ticket just now, I got the same error message as you. Sigh. Guess they'll be receiving a call from me, as well...

Wyatt's Torch: I just attempted to access my ticket again, and was successful this time. The only thing I did differently was manually enter my Confirmation number instead of copying and pasting it from the email containing it, so maybe give that a try if you haven't already? 

Thanks Felibus. I just gave it a try, but to no avail. I called them on Thursday, and they basically said "give it another week then call us back again." I'm obviously a tad concerned, given the importance of this test...but I'll just have to be vigilant about contacting them. Good luck to you in this as well!

I don't have the ticket problem, but I'm irrationally freaking out about the name I used for registration. My IDs all read

Given Name: FIRST MIDDLE

Last Name: LAST

My GRE subject admissions ticket reads: FIRST M LAST, and my general GRE test appointment confirmation just reads FIRST LAST. 

WT--you've taken the GRE several times already. Have you had this issue? Has anyone else here? I know they can be sticklers (to choose the most anodyne description possible) for names that are on IDs.

WT--you've taken the GRE several times already. Have you had this issue? Has anyone else here? I know they can be sticklers (to choose the most anodyne description possible) for names that are on IDs.

Now now! Not "several!" That makes me sound like a remedial dunce! :lol: Just twice, and I'm not going to talk about the second attempt... <_<

(I try to avoid emojis, by the way, but they seem appropriate here...)

Anyhow, on to your question. I wouldn't worry about it. They state that they are sticklers, and the staff does indeed seem a little aloof (at least they did at the location I went to), but the first time I took the test, I had to remind them that I'm a non-citizen (I'm Canadian and a permanent resident here), and needed to be proactive about taking out my Green Card and showing it to them. The guidelines on the ETS site make a big deal about this, but the staff didn't even think to ask.

In your case, I don't think the middle name will be a concern. It would be more of a concern if it were the other way around: if your IDs didn't show your middle name, but your admission ticket did. But since some people don't use their middle name, even on official documents, I don't think it will be a problem. Having said that, it can't hurt to give them a call. As annoying as it is, I suspect they won't surreptitiously charge you for updating your file (though it's ETS, so you never know...)*, and it would take you from being 95% unconcerned to 100%.

*I half expected to see a coin-operated water fountain, a pay-by-the-hour locker fee, and a pencil rental surcharge at the testing center...

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Hah! That's not at all what I meant, WT--if anything, I envy you your preparation!

Apparently the name is the one part of your information you can't edit--you need to cancel the test, create a whole new profile and reregister. Blargh. I'm going to give them a call Monday, just in case!

Hah! That's not at all what I meant, WT--if anything, I envy you your preparation!

Apparently the name is the one part of your information you can't edit--you need to cancel the test, create a whole new profile and reregister. Blargh. I'm going to give them a call Monday, just in case!

ETS: making life difficult for grad applicants since 1947.™

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

ETS: making life difficult for grad applicants since 1947.™

I'd up vote that--it made me spit out some coffee--but I'm out of votes for the day!

So if you haven't really studied enough for the GRE, do you recommend taking it within the next month or waiting?

Personally, I'd be inclined to take it. Try to study as much as you can before the late September date. The reason I say this is because ETS can be notoriously slow about sending the scores out (and remember that they're sent via snail mail), and there's not a lot of wiggle room if something goes awry. But that's the ideal, of course. In most cases taking the test in late October shouldn't be an issue, and for some folks it's the only feasible date.

The other consideration is that there are threads peppered throughout GC that talk about students bombing the GRE lit test (I seem to recall one girl saying she was in the 18th percentile) and getting into top tier institutions regardless. In other words, it IS an important and necessary part of your application (for some places), but it is, after all, just part. If you blow the adcomms away with a fantastic WS and SOP, even if you have lackluster GRE scores, you've still got a solid shot at getting accepted, from what I understand.

Personally, I'd be inclined to take it. Try to study as much as you can before the late September date. The reason I say this is because ETS can be notoriously slow about sending the scores out (and remember that they're sent via snail mail), and there's not a lot of wiggle room if something goes awry. But that's the ideal, of course. In most cases taking the test in late October shouldn't be an issue, and for some folks it's the only feasible date.

The other consideration is that there are threads peppered throughout GC that talk about students bombing the GRE lit test (I seem to recall one girl saying she was in the 18th percentile) and getting into top tier institutions regardless. In other words, it IS an important and necessary part of your application (for some places), but it is, after all, just part. If you blow the adcomms away with a fantastic WS and SOP, even if you have lackluster GRE scores, you've still got a solid shot at getting accepted, from what I understand.

Oh, I mean the General test, not the Subject. I'm a very poor test-taker, so I'm not sure how much more I need to study for the verbal. Surprisingly, every practice test I've taken, I score in the mid-160s in the quantitative section. The verbal, however, it's brutal for me.

Oh, I mean the General test, not the Subject. I'm a very poor test-taker, so I'm not sure how much more I need to study for the verbal. Surprisingly, every practice test I've taken, I score in the mid-160s in the quantitative section. The verbal, however, it's brutal for me.

Oh! In that case, I would definitely suggest you take it as soon as possible, for two reasons. First of all, many people consider it to be a test that you can't really study for, and I agree with that to some degree. Case in point: the first time I took it, I did very little preparation. I did a couple of practice quizzes, and that was it. I did pretty well (over 160 on the verbal), but figured I'd give it another shot a couple of months later, because I had this burning desire to give ETS more money. (Okay, not really...I just figured I could get into the mid-to-high 160s on the verbal and 5+ on the analytical writing). The second time I took it, I studied a lot. I spent a lot of time memorizing key vocabulary words I didn't already know, and I took at least four complete practice tests, and wound up scoring in the high 160s on a couple of them. But come test day, I had a bad start to the morning (my alarm didn't go off, despite being correctly set, and I had to race out the door in a state of discombobulation...), and I simply didn't have my mojo, for the lack of a better term. I scored worse than the first time, and it was truly a waste of money, considering that I had "good" to "quite good" GRE scores from the first time around, and that GRE isn't a huge factor in the application process.

But that is indeed the second reason why you should take it sooner rather than later: if you DO happen to bomb it (I'd say a verbal under 155 would be the English major's verson of "bombing" it), then you have time to retake it, and you won't have to send those first scores to anyone. They can be a little secret between you and ETS.

So considering that studying (for some) may only have a moderate impact on your scores, and that the earlier you take the GRE, the more wiggle room you have for retaking it if need be, you might as well go tomorrow. Or the next day. Or as soon as you can get an appointment.

Just my two cents, of course. YMMV and all that.