Recommendations for periodic table and other fun science stuff

Gauche

This is a little unrelated to most topics specifically talking about grad school, but I hope this request is allowed anyway. I'm hoping that some of you in the sciences could recommend a place or a website where I can buy a really awesome periodic table poster for my SO. Since I'm on the humanities side of things, I don't want to screw up and get something that won't be helpful. Would anyone be able to recommend something that they have or would like to have? In addition, if you know any cool websites that sells neat science stuff to decorate my SO's room with, I would really appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance!

Well I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but either a white board that can be hung on the wall or one of those ones on wheels are amazing. They can be expensive but sooo worth it! Otherwise, really any periodic table that you see online would look cool on the wall. Im sure he/she would like any sciencey posters or decorations. That's a cute gift idea that my SO would probably never think of lol!

Oh and also coffee mugs are great for keeping at school. I have one with the fisher chemical label for caffeine that looks really cute on my desk.

Edited by bsharpe269

Thank you both for your feedback! I really like the white board idea. My SO did tell me at one point that she would really like a transparent board to do equations on. I have no idea where I would be able to purchase one though, but I would love to get it for her by the time she starts grad school. 

And to clarify the periodic table request - I just randomly googled "periodic table posters" and found many different kinds with more details and decorations than others. I just have no idea which one is the "best" or more useful for her work and which ones are just cool for decoration purposes. She would like to get a big size poster to hang on her wall to decorate her room (which she'll be moving out of when she starts grad school), but I'm sure she's going to use it to help her study in the meantime. I guess I just want to know what periodic table would be the most convenient for studying while also making a space fit for a science major?

What field of study is your SO? Assuming chemistry, is there a particular type of chemistry she'll be studying?

Anyway, a periodic table like this would be useful for most all purposes. One like this is a bit more useful, especially if she'll be concerned about physical chemistry. This would be useful for a radiochemist. Generally, a periodic table is a useful reference and it should be available whenever one is doing chemistry, but it's not going to be the forefront of studying, at least not at the graduate level.

I think you may be able to get a board like that at someplace like staples or officedepot.

Lastly, if your SO is involved at all with the biological sciences giantmicrobes has some neat toys. They're not going to be good for studying, but they're cute.

Thank you both for your feedback! I really like the white board idea. My SO did tell me at one point that she would really like a transparent board to do equations on. I have no idea where I would be able to purchase one though, but I would love to get it for her by the time she starts grad school. 

Staples, but they can be pricey...

http://t.staples.com/Whiteboards/cat_CL166382?fids=4224926734

For a do-it-yourself option, I think the IKEA glass tabletops might work (normally you buy the legs separately and it becomes a table, but you can probably just get the top and attach it to the wall somehow. Here is the item: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80221465/#/60221471

I have this item (as a regular table though) and the glass is very nice. Haven't tried to convert it to a whiteboard though.

tshirt with upside down periodic table, so he can look down and see the atomic number of lawrencium 

this is a nice toy. a coworker has it. I was bummed when whe didnt have enough to make fullerene or even a diamond lattice, so get him a LOT. it's like legos, but crack for chemists

lihe$095617149(s).jpg

better yet, have him build cortisone, relieve some stress

Molymod-MMS-009.jpg

but I think that's going off track from the periodic tablw

Edited by spectastic

better yet, have him build cortisone, relieve some stress

How would building (8S,9S,10R,13S,14S,17R)-17-hydroxy-17-(2-hydroxyacetyl)-10,13-dimethyl-1,2,6,7,8,9,12,14,15,16-decahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthrene-3,11-dione with a molecular modeling kit relieve stress? Who builds models of glucocorticoid metabolites in their spare time?! 

Perhaps I underestimate chemists...

build the stress hormone to relieve stress. they call that a paradox

Serotonin would be more productive.

This is an attractive periodic table I found the other day: http://www.redbubble.com/people/compoundchem/works/11859974-periodic-table-of-data-group-names-version?p=poster

It comes from this blog: http://www.compoundchem.com which is super interesting and fun on its own, and you can buy prints of most of the things, as well as download smaller versions of the image. He ALSO has spice labels with the compounds drawn on them that are attributed with the flavor or essence of the spice. 
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CompoundChem/

I have a set of erlenmeyer flasks and beakers in my kitchen (surprisingly useful) which you can purchase on Amazon. I also have a lab-coat that has "Welcome to my LABORATORY KITCHEN" on the back.

I also extremely highly recommend this cookbook, aptly named, "The Science of Good Cooking" as a great launching point for broadening your cooking horizons. A better understanding of why we do certain things when we cook allows you to apply it to other recipes. I very rarely even use a real recipe anymore: http://www.amazon.com/Science-Cooking-Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbooks/dp/1933615982/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404442170&sr=1-1&keywords=science+of+good+cooking

Edited by biotechie