Preparing to apply

kaswing

Hi!

I've finally made a tentative short-list of places to apply, and (after google started taking "UI" as a cue to autofill "uiuc cognitive science admissions requirements phd") I decided to start a BRAND NEW, Phase 2 spreadsheet. 

The goal is, since I'm applying a few places, I can consolidate the information I need to tailor my SOPs, prepare for my applications, and confirm the schools as good fits before I waste an application fee. Because I know many of you are also applying to graduate school and some of you may be as excited about spreadsheets as I am, it might be helpful for you, too. 

I'd be happy to hear about any methods you use to achieve the same goals, or how you think I can improve it.  It's just an image, because I wanted to show you how the tabs for different schools worked, and the "Notes about" can be for your research interests, things that are most interesting to you in a school (location, for example) or, in my case, sections of my SOP. 

I hope it helps :) 

That's pretty useful! I started my own spreadsheet but haven't really updated it recently.

I also added things about money, such as typical stipend, different available scholarships I could apply, and typical apartment costs. That takes bit more research, though.

I have a similar spreadsheet with some minor differences; my left hand side panel looks like this:

University

App Account Login

Department

Dept. Rank (USN)

Degree

Lab Name

POI name

Taking students?

App Deadline

Avg. GRE Scores

GRE Inst. Code

App Fee