which universities offer statistical lerning/ML?

I am thinking of doing PhD in Statistics but my interest lays on statistical learning and machine learning. I have done some research and come up with a couple of universities. These are university of Chicago and CMU and they look very high rank to me. I'm aiming at middle rank or lower university since my profile is not so good. So, if any of you can suggest any other universities, I will be thankful.

UNC-Chapel Hill has a machine learning track in their INSTORE program. Purdue and Ohio State Stats departments also have research groups for statistical learning. I'd also take a look at schools you think you have reasonable shots at and see if there are any faculty working in the area of machine learning. If there are a decent number of them, I'd apply to those schools.

I'm in a similar boat as you as ML is one of my research interests. Indeed, it does seem to be hard to find programs that specialize in ML, probably because most ML researchers (as far as I have seen) are housed in computer science departments. Many of these, however, have joint appointments in CS and stats departments.

Duke looks to be an additional choice, which is highly ranked but at least not as high as Chicago / CMU / WashU / Wharton

UCLA offers ML as a subfield.