Sociel Sciences Outside America, the Continent.

sugarplum

So, I read a lot about U.S.A Universities but almost near to nothing from Europe and Asia. Is it really that unworthy or is it just that nobody is interested in going there?

I'd like to consider places somewhere outside the American continent (which include North, Central and South America).

Which universities would you recommend?

I am looking for a PhD focused on research, my interest being Human-Interaction Communications.

I was also considering Social Psychology, but I am not sure if it is a viable option since my background is in Communication Studies.

I am hoping to read a lot of answers :)

• 6 months later...

Eurasia (collectively) does have some good schools, but many times, especially in Asia good schools are very hard to get into and weigh a lot on tests. In contrast, America usually uses a holistic approach to admissions. This creates a diverse pool of enrolled students that strengthens the student population at large. In west Europe, they have began to model their educational colleges closer to America's- so that Oxford and Cambridge etc. aren't the ones dominating UKs system. 

I'd actually disagree. In my experience, schools in the UK have a far more holistic approach to graduate admissions than in the US. The US is good at emphasizing certain qualities sure, but that also comes with a lot of administrative admissions bureaucracy.  I'd also argue that admissions in the US is a lot more formulaic GRE (weighted) + GPA (weighted) + "x factor" (less weighted) = your admissions chances. Obviously all schools have some sort of rubric but in my experience the UK (and Europe and in general) are far more holistic. 

I love how you corrected him in the snottiest way possible, even italicized "the America's."  Quick question though, what is America possessing in that statement that requires the apostrophe?

Perhaps you should relax your response to someone who likely isn't a native English speaker, when you're still struggling with grammar.

Am in the US, have found the GREs especially to be an ordeal, so much so I didn't take them again despite a low math score. Probably a dumb move b/c I mainly reapplied to US schools just b/c of all I hear about job security in academia. But I applied to 3 non US schools so far, 2 in Toronto. I've gotta say, the apps are better, it's refreshing not to have to deal w/a discriminatory test like GRE that proves absolutely nothing, it's a lazy weeding mechanism for depts and admissions offices to get rid of applicants and like most other standardized tests it's a billion dollar money racket.  The apps I've seen abroad are hard in their own way, but at least I know I'm being judged by my professional/academic qualifications, which should be what's used everywhere. And w/UK apps, those are quite hard, very demanding w/not just statements and writing samples, but research proposals and sometimes personal history essays and more. It's frankly over my head, but it's at least trying to get the best people using strong criteria, which I can respect.

And Sugar, sorry I don't know. I would think you'd wanna look at the top places in Asia, Todai, Seoul National, maybe Beijing U, Qinghua (Tsinghua), Fudan, Singapore National, maybe HKU or HK Polytech, Sydney U, ANU (Australia), U Melbourne, Free U of Berlin, Sorbonne, the Paris U system. I dunno  the rest of the continent too well. One incentive though to consider at least W Europe and say Brazil (and I think Venezuela) is their unis are basically free, no tuition. Novel concept for a US, Canadian or UK person (or how Mexico is going w/its neoliberal crap system!). U Sao Paulo and Unicamp are 2 of the best schools in western hemisphere and you won't pay if you get in, and very little in  say Germany or France, though you're on your own for affording housing, food, etc. Dunno your field sorry, but those are some of the top schools.

• 9 months later...

The UK is great for psychology! I just finished my Master's at King's College London and the psychology department under the institute of psychiatry, psychology, and neuroscience is ranked #2 in the world. #1 being harvard. 

• 3 months later...
On July 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM, sugarplum said:

So, I read a lot about U.S.A Universities but almost near to nothing from Europe and Asia. Is it really that unworthy or is it just that nobody is interested in going there?

I'd like to consider places somewhere outside the American continent (which include North, Central and South America).

Which universities would you recommend?

I am looking for a PhD focused on research, my interest being Human-Interaction Communications.

I was also considering Social Psychology, but I am not sure if it is a viable option since my background is in Communication Studies.

I am hoping to read a lot of answers :)

Veo que eres de México así que te contesto en español. Creo que la mejor opción para ti serían las universidades del Reino Unido o en los Países Bajos (especialmente Amsterdam o Nijmegen). Además hay muchas becas para estudiantes Mexicanos/Latinos en estas regiones. Por cierto, no le hagas caso al comentario de MAC2809 que entiendo porqué dijiste lo de America ya que muchos estadounidenses colectivamente se llaman de esta manera (un nombre erróneo por supuesto) :D Suerte y esperemos que encuentres el mejor programa posible para ti! 

• 2 weeks later...

There are most certainly great universities with great Social Science faculties outside of the US/the American continent. Just look here: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=faculty_value+region=+country=+faculty=2453343+stars=false+search= Four non-US universities in the top-10, and more a bit further down. Of course, this ranking doesn't look exclusively at graduate programs within universities, but it gives you a place to start exploring outside options.

As a Dutch citizen (moving to the US this summer for a PhD position!), I can say that the PhD process is a bit different over here compared to the US. First, it is customary to get an MA before applying for a PhD. Second, a PhD here is a job (it won't make you rich though), you are no longer seen as a student. Because of this, you have a little less education during your PhD (which is OK, since you've already done a Masters). You do also work as a TA, but usually just for one semester per year (or even less). PhDs are mostly funded by grant money, so usually you apply to a specific project, not to a university/department in general. This means you need to have a pretty good idea about what your interest are before you start your PhD. The position is usually for 4 years, and if you need more time you need to find your own funding.

Since its seen as a job, you don't need GRE scores etc or a personal history statement. You just write a letter to apply for the job and send in your resume.

I've also done a summer school course at King's College in London and it was of great quality, so I'd also recommend them (and a lot of other universities in the UK).