University of Michigan MSW Applicants – Fall 2015

wbrogers

Hi all,

I will be applying to the University of Michigan and I am hoping to connect with applicants for the upcoming admissions cycle as well as those who were admitted last year. First, a little about myself: I am an in-state student at UM and I will be graduating this year in December. I have several years of volunteer experience at two shelters for homeless youth and limited professional experience as a mental health/rehabilitation program assistant. I have also been involved in research for several years and I am eager to build my knowledge and skill set  for evidence-based clinical practice.

To past applicants: What was your experience of the application process? What advice do you have for future applicants? What factors do you think were critical to your admissions decision?

To current applicants: What is your background in mental health and/or social services? Why are you eager to attend UM? When do you plan on applying?

I know it's quite early in the process, but I am eager to learn from others' experiences before submitting my application and beginning the long wait for an admissions decision. Thank you for taking a look at this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting the program this fall, and first of all I would say don't get too stressed out about it! I did, and in hindsight there was no need. Make sure your resume and personal statement are concise and clearly explain what you want out of the program and what you want to do with your MSW (even if you aren't 100% sure, make it seem like you are). Try to apply as early as possible, and give your references enough time to have their letters prepared. I think as long as you have a decent GPA and a great personal statement you will be fine as it seems like you have some good experience. 

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.