Got into Oxford, Now what?

So I wasn't expecting this - but I got accepted into the MPhil in European Politics and Society at Oxford this week. Of course, no funding. And I also go into LSE's MSc Politics and Govt of the European Union. Also, no funding. :cry:

Um - help? I got into two fantastic programs, but I am scared either 1) I am going to make the wrong choice or 2) Never get out of debt.

Oxford = 2 years so more pricey in the long run as far as tuition goes.

But, one year in London is still going to be $$$. The city itself is more expensive to live in...

However, what I am worried is that if I take loans, I will never be able to pay them on a professors salary (I already have loans from undergrad).

Also, anyone have thoughts on how the programs compare? Professors are telling me that if I want to go the academia route, Oxford will be best. But if I want a job, either would be good.

Any help / thoughts ???? Anyone else in the same programs ????

Congratulations on getting into two excellent programs. I don't think either will be the wrong choice -- they are both great schools. Oxford is definitely very research oriented, so you will learn how to do research in your program. You will be in a good position to get into a PhD program with a degree from Oxford. I don't know anything about the structure of LSE's courses, but I do know a few people who went there and I've heard only good things. Personally, I think with a degree from either school, your going to be able to get into a good PhD program, provided you have awesome grades, interesting writing samples, and excellent letters of rec.

I am also struggling with the loan decision, so I feel your pain. I can say that I have friends who are very much in debt from grad school, and they are just working and paying their loans back. They all have good jobs (education, law, nursing) and they are able to balance loan payments and living a decent, but frugal, lifestyle. Have you used one of those online loan calculators? Do you think you'll be able to swing the monthly payments? Are you willing to adjust your budget so that you can make your loan payments? If so, go for it.

You should also ask yourself if you will regret passing up the opportunity to go to Oxford or LSE. That is another thing to consider. It gets harder to pick up and move for grad school as the years go on and you get more settled in your career. It seems like it is a bit easier to do these types of things now. On the other hand, school will always be there. You can always reapply later, after you've payed down some of your undergrad debt. You could also reapply to schools in the US and hope for a better financial aid package.

A few friends have suggested to me that I make a list of the pros and cons of each choice. That might help with your decision too. Think about where you want to be in the next five years and think about what will help you get there. I think your professors might also have good advice since they probable are very familiar with the field you are in and the types of jobs you will be able to get with your MA.

I know its a tough decision. Best of luck to you and let us know how things turn out!

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am going to make a pro/con list. I am also going to keep talking to professors both at my current school and LSE/Oxford. I know I am going to school regardless. I almost have to have a Masters for a job in International Relations and / or European Affairs.

Part of me actually does want to defer a year (I know I can for LSE, I have to check on Oxford). However, that means my undergrad loans would go into payment. Having no steady job offer on the table, that's a scary option too. It's so complex... :shock:

One more thing I wanted to throw out -- I have been emailing a student at Oxford (I was accepted there for the Fall) and found out that as an international student you can work 20 hrs/week. I know that won't put much of a dent in your loans, but it could help.

I also think you should really look at the outside scholarships available for study in the UK. In my search, I haven't found many (mainly Fulbright, Rotary, Clarendon Fund, ORS Scholarship, and a few random scholarships from private orgs). I found a few scholarships for studying for a phd overseas, but it seems a little tougher to find money to study for an MA overseas. Talk to the international students office at Oxford and LSE -- they may have good advice about funding and deferring. If you are thinking about deferring, just make sure you have a solid plan. In that year, you could have earned your MA at LSE and could potentially get a job with a higher salary upon graduation. As an international student, you also have the option of working in the UK for a year after graduation. And on the other hand, maybe taking that year to defer and sift through your options might give you the time you need to apply for funding, possibly apply to other schools, and make a decision you feel good about.

2400 - thanks for all the help. I am going to try and talk to Oxford's financial dept. this week sometime. I have also had one really nice Oxford friend helping me out. She is American too - and has practically said for those of us without Rhodes, you are looking at loans and maybe only a small chunk of funding from the dept/financial office...

Also, do you mind me asking what program you got accepted to? Are you going to go? If you don't want it here - pm me ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...