Hey, Medievalists... (Fall 2015)

We could of course always set up our own little medieval Latin translation group of the medievalists here, too.

That would be cool, I think.  Is there some way on like, Skype or something to do group meetings?  I recently picked up the Bryn Mawr Latin Commentaries edition of Prudentius' Psychomachia if that's something that appeals to people.  

But yeah, regardless of how we do it or what we read, I would be down.  I have a busy teaching schedule and a weekly OE reading group that I've been lagging on so hard just because of my job, so I haven't had a whole lot of time/energy to motivate myself for practicing Latin.  A group would help with that.

I'll be at Kzoo with a few other colleagues from my department. 

While we're talking conferences, anyone else going to the IMA conference at SLU this week?

Lovely! Are you presenting, or just attending? I'll be going down with a slew of grad students from my (current) dept, just to attend/check it out/get my free cardboard astrolabe.

In re IMA, I won't be there, but there are some lovely sounding papers…

Lovely! Are you presenting, or just attending? I'll be going down with a slew of grad students from my (current) dept, just to attend/check it out/get my free cardboard astrolabe.

In re IMA, I won't be there, but there are some lovely sounding papers…

I'm presenting at Kzoo, as are my committee members and a couple people in my cohort.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the program for IMA! Stupidly, I scheduled two conferences back to back and have been really stressed out about it. I just got back on Saturday night from one conference and then I'm heading out on Thursday for IMA. (Just... yeah. Don't ever do that.)

I'm also presenting at Kalamazoo.  If I don't get into the astrolabe workshop AGAIN this year, I'm going to be so pissed!  I was at Kalamazoo for the first time last year and went about 15 minutes early and it was already so full that there was a big group of people turned away.  I'm hoping they do it in a bigger space this year.

I'm also presenting at Kalamazoo.  If I don't get into the astrolabe workshop AGAIN this year, I'm going to be so pissed!  I was at Kalamazoo for the first time last year and went about 15 minutes early and it was already so full that there was a big group of people turned away.  I'm hoping they do it in a bigger space this year.

See, now this is the kind of valuable information I come to GC for.

• 6 months later...

Hey--I've applied with different papers to both Kalamazoo and Leeds, so we'll see if either is accepted! I'll almost certainly be going to Kalamazoo no matter what, but probably won't go to Leeds (read: do the work of finagling funding for it) unless I'm presenting.

• 4 months later...
On 9/14/2015 at 8:15 PM, unræd said:

Hey--I've applied with different papers to both Kalamazoo and Leeds, so we'll see if either is accepted! I'll almost certainly be going to Kalamazoo no matter what, but probably won't go to Leeds (read: do the work of finagling funding for it) unless I'm presenting.

I realize this is from forever ago, but I'll be at both KZoo and Leeds giving papers on the Exeter Book and women and monasticism, respectively. Any news for you?

21 hours ago, ArthurianChaucerian said:

I realize this is from forever ago, but I'll be at both KZoo and Leeds giving papers on the Exeter Book and women and monasticism, respectively. Any news for you?

Indeed! Both my papers were accepted as well, so yay.

On 2/9/2016 at 5:54 PM, unræd said:

Indeed! Both my papers were accepted as well, so yay.

17 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

See you there - Spatial and Network Analysis I

Excellent! This will be my first time attending/presenting at each but I'm pretty damn excited. And I have grants to cover them. Life is good.