Schools whose programs you never hear about

hello_lauren

I feel like there are loads of programs that are well-funded at good schools, but I never hear about their MFA programs. For example, Tulane, Notre Dame, and Michigan. 

I feel like it's smart to go where the money is, but is there any risk of applying to less prestigious (or perceived as less prestigious) programs?

Thanks for starting this discussion. 

An art programs  that i don't hear enough of is,  (RA)  Royal Academy of Art, which is located in the UK. I actually read through the 2014 freak out forum and only heard this school mention 5 times, maybe less. This school offers full tuition, but only 14 individuals are admitted every year. It's  the oldest art school in the UK and is very highly regarded. I think it was founded in 1768. 

I am applying to the best of the best MFA programs. The top MFA art programs is where all the top talent is and where the renowned faculty are teaching, those schools then produce tons of artist who become respected in their fields on a national stage, and some actually make a living off their work.  

The MFA program I hope to attend has to have a national reputation, and continually producing successful nationally renowned alumni artist. Lastly, this should be a must, the school has to have CONNECTIONS with the art world. 

To answer your question, yes! Applying to a less prestigious (or perceived as less prestigious) programs is a risk in my book. Go big or go home is my motto! Oh, and research is your best friend. Be careful,  some of those less prestigious MFA programs are really out for your money, and not your talent. 

I feel like there are loads of programs that are well-funded at good schools, but I never hear about their MFA programs. For example, Tulane, Notre Dame, and Michigan. 

I feel like it's smart to go where the money is, but is there any risk of applying to less prestigious (or perceived as less prestigious) programs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Royal Academy only gives free tuition to UK/EU residents, doesn't it? I researched them a couple of years ago when I was thinking of applying to more schools in the UK instead. 

• 5 weeks later...