Decision Anxieties

I really love literature and ultimately want to pursue a PhD program, but decided to complete an MA program first to strengthen my research experience and to develop stronger relationships with faculty (I have strong ties with 2 of my undergrad professors, but I'm really struggling to come up with a 3rd for recommendations). The problem with this is that I haven't found the right program. UCLA, UC Irvine, and USC are all PhD track only, UC Riverside is too far away, and the offerings of other small, private schools don't really fit my interests. I also considered applying to Cal State Los Angeles or Long Beach, but it'd be a fairly big step back for me in terms of rank.

Still, my employer pays 100% tuition/fees/books for employees to go to any grad school and desired program. I'd have to be crazy to not take advantage of this benefit, right? So I applied to USC's Master of Communication Management program because it's relevant to my work experience and I do have some interest in the field, and I was accepted into the program a few days ago. If I go forward with this, then I intend to apply directly to an English PhD program upon completion.

Part of me thinks that it's better to earn a graduate degree from a highly ranked, research-driven program outside of English than it is to go backwards in rank and settle for a mediocre English MA program. But the other part recognizes that rank isn't everything and a big chunk of succeeding in grad school depends on the student. I also can't help but wonder if venturing outside of my intended field will hurt me when it comes time to apply to English PhD programs. Then again, if I don't attend USC then I will lose at least a semester in time since all the fall application deadlines have passed. Completing the program would certainly be a wise step for me at work.

Am I overthinking this? Is it really that bad to step outside the box for a little bit? Can pursuing a degree outside of your intended field be considered a good thing? So torn!

"Am I overthinking this?"

Yes.

"Is it really that bad to step outside the box for a little bit?"

No.

"Can pursuing a degree outside of your intended field be considered a good thing?"

Sometimes, sure.

Is the decision between having an MA degree paid for and paying your own way at a school you consider more prestigious? Because I would urge you as strongly as I possibly can to pursue the former option. 

Also: feeling anxious is totally normal and understandable to everyone. But don't forget to feel good about the opportunity you have, which is rare and wonderful. Getting your MA for free will improve your life no matter what your future in the academy might be, so try to keep that in mind when you're feeling some of this anxiety and confusion.

I'm not sure I can help much, but I am currently getting my MA from CSU Long Beach. My decision to attend this program was due to lack of planning and because the admissions process is incredibly easy. I'm convinced that they admit anyone who applies with a qualifying GPA. Seriously. No letters of rec, no GREs. Just an application and a SOP. If anything, apply as a back up school of sorts, although I LOVE our program and think my professors are absolutely brilliant. 

Best of luck to you!

I really love literature and ultimately want to pursue a PhD program, but decided to complete an MA program first to strengthen my research experience and to develop stronger relationships with faculty (I have strong ties with 2 of my undergrad professors, but I'm really struggling to come up with a 3rd for recommendations). The problem with this is that I haven't found the right program. UCLA, UC Irvine, and USC are all PhD track only, UC Riverside is too far away, and the offerings of other small, private schools don't really fit my interests. I also considered applying to Cal State Los Angeles or Long Beach, but it'd be a fairly big step back for me in terms of rank.

Still, my employer pays 100% tuition/fees/books for employees to go to any grad school and desired program. I'd have to be crazy to not take advantage of this benefit, right? So I applied to USC's Master of Communication Management program because it's relevant to my work experience and I do have some interest in the field, and I was accepted into the program a few days ago. If I go forward with this, then I intend to apply directly to an English PhD program upon completion.

Part of me thinks that it's better to earn a graduate degree from a highly ranked, research-driven program outside of English than it is to go backwards in rank and settle for a mediocre English MA program. But the other part recognizes that rank isn't everything and a big chunk of succeeding in grad school depends on the student. I also can't help but wonder if venturing outside of my intended field will hurt me when it comes time to apply to English PhD programs. Then again, if I don't attend USC then I will lose at least a semester in time since all the fall application deadlines have passed. Completing the program would certainly be a wise step for me at work.

Am I overthinking this? Is it really that bad to step outside the box for a little bit? Can pursuing a degree outside of your intended field be considered a good thing? So torn!

I might be totally wrong about this, but from what I've gathered from friends, etc., it seems like English Ph.D. adcomms tend to want to see prior degrees/majors specifically in the field of English/literature/etc. (depending on what Ph.D. track you're pursuing, like a rhetoric program vs. a literature one, for example). This is especially true, I'd surmise, in regard to the top-tier programs. They at least want to see on your transcripts that you've taken a solid number (and optimally, I think, a wide range) of English courses.

I don't think you mentioned if you did your BA in English...this would affect my comments somewhat. If you took a good deal of relevant courses during undergrad that you think will prove your sufficient preparation for a Ph.D. program in English, then I don't think your choice to do your MA in a different field would be very detrimental.

I really love literature and ultimately want to pursue a PhD program, but decided to complete an MA program first to strengthen my research experience and to develop stronger relationships with faculty (I have strong ties with 2 of my undergrad professors, but I'm really struggling to come up with a 3rd for recommendations). 

If your priority is what you state-- to strengthen your eventual PhD application by developing your research skills and relationships with faculty-- than the MA program in literature would be more beneficial. Letters from the field you are applying to (literature) will carry more weight than letters from faculty outside of literature. Letters of recommendation should speak to your skills as a literary scholar, and letters from literature professors can speak better to the skills ad comms are interested in. And a literature program would give you an opportunity to write and revise a killer writing sample. 

There is no ranking system for MA programs, so the prestige of an MA program, especially if your BA is from a highly ranked university, matters less than the work you produce. And great faculty are everywhere. I attended a grad student conference at CSULA a few years back and was impressed with the program; almost all the students I talked to were planning on applying to PhD programs and were on track to do so. 

Of course, I don't think an MA in an outside field is detrimental to a PhD application, but if your main purpose for attending an MA program is to strengthen your PhD application, then I'd say go for the MA in your field. 

ETA: I just re-read your initial post and saw that the Comm Management MA will be a good for your job, so feel free to disregard my above advice! 

Edited by proflorax