Touching base with advisors

Ceci

Hi All!

I was wondering if I could have some opinions as far as proper updates for advisors that had assisted you during your graduate school application process?  I have had one particular advisor that helped me out tremendously, but I am unsure as to how often I should update her?  Would you recommend an email every couple months, or so?  What recommendations would there be for advisors that you aren't AS close to, but still are very grateful for assisting you during your graduate school admissions process?

Thank you very much for your suggesions!

Edited by acarr

Updates should be event-based not time based. For close ones, email when you need their advice: "I've received offers x, y, and z. Any opinion?" and for everybody else when you have news like "I accepted at X".  There's no need for monthly updates or whatever, but people will want to know where you end up. 

Also, write thank you notes for the letters on paper.

Or do you mean update to old advisors after you've already started grad school? 

I wrote my old advisors after the first quarter of grad school just to let them know that I'm enjoying the new place etc. For one advisor, regular contact was natural because I was still working with that group to finish up a paper and I was also planning my wedding in my hometown (where that advisor was) so I would be in town every few months so I would get a coffee with them every few months.

After the first year, I generally write to them when something relevant comes up, usually an upcoming conference that we would probably both go to. We would meet for lunch or dinner or coffee during the conference week and catch up. I also wrote to them when I needed professional advice, especially during my last year of my MSc when I was applying for PhD programs.

At this point, my research focus has changed enough that I don't significantly overlap with my old advisors anymore--we're still in the same subfield but we study different topics now. So, the majority of my interactions with old advisors have been social/fun rather than work-related (some of them even went to my wedding). But good mentors don't have to be working on exactly the same things as you. I don't think you need to worry too much about what is the "right" amount of contact--just do what feels natural! 

Edited by TakeruK