NDSEG Fall 2014

gellert

I don't think I was specific enough about research interests. Should have went ahead and proposed a specific project. I picked a specific subfield and explained how it could be useful to the DOD, but it still wasn't an actual project from what I can remember.

I should do well in most categories but might get docked a lot for that.

I don't think I was specific enough about research interests. Should have went ahead and proposed a specific project. I picked a specific subfield and explained how it could be useful to the DOD, but it still wasn't an actual project from what I can remember.

I should do well in most categories but might get docked a lot for that.

Double edged sword. If they don't like the project, then its also bad.

I hear good things about being general, but I stuck to my guns and proposed a project all the same.

Does NDSEG also try to distribute awards based on diversity criteria like the NSF's quota system?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.  This is from their website, emphasis added:

"Applications are encouraged from women, persons with disabilities, and members of ethnic and racial minority groups (including African American, American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander, and Hispanic or Latino persons) that historically have been underrepresented in science and engineering fields. However, all applicants are judged solely on the basis of academic ability in fields of interest to the DoD."

Source: https://ndseg.asee.org/faq/other_frequently_asked_questions

Silly question:

There's no work requirement for this fellowship, is there? (By that I mean a requirement to work for Uncle Sam for x number of years afterward.)

I'm almost sure I don't remember there being any, but I couldn't confirm by skimming the NDSEG FAQ.

Silly question:

There's no work requirement for this fellowship, is there? (By that I mean a requirement to work for Uncle Sam for x number of years afterward.)

I'm almost sure I don't remember there being any, but I couldn't confirm by skimming the NDSEG FAQ.

Correct, there is no requirement. 

So it may as well be just some person hitting a button--snazzy.

At least we know it'll come by the 15th and hopefully not on the 18th, like what happened a couple years ago. :/

Denied again this year. Just received word.

Dear 2015 NDSEG Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Program. The selection process was very thorough and your application was reviewed by many experts in your discipline. Unfortunately, your application was not selected for an award during the 2015 application evaluation process.

NDSEG is very competitive and there were many more qualified applicants than could be funded. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any feedback on your application, but please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions. We wish you well in your academic endeavors and thank you again for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship Program.

Sincerely,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Edited by shanks.k

I didnt get it either :( But I got nsf so it's ok

N

NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

to me

5 minutes agoDetails

Thank you for your interest in the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Program. The selection process was very thorough and your application was reviewed by many experts in your discipline. Unfortunately, your application was not selected for an award during the 2015 application evaluation process.

NDSEG is very competitive and there were many more qualified applicants than could be funded. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any feedback on your application, but please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions. We wish you well in your academic endeavors and thank you again for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship Program.

Sincerely,

To those who said they were denied, what did your email say?

Sincerely,

I got a "you are still being considered" message as well.  It looks like this means waitlisted...

I received that last year and ended up getting a denial in the end. Good luck to you. 

Hope I get the SMART now. 

The accepted one looks like this:

Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a 2015 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship.  The NDSEG Fellowship is sponsored and funded by the Department of Defense (DoD).  NDSEG selections are made by the Air Force Research Laboratory/Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFRL/AFOSR), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), and the Army Research Office (ARO). The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) administers the NDSEG Fellowship.

If you are unable to accept the fellowship, please provide a brief explanation in the comments section of the award portal. We ask that you please accept or decline your NDSEG award online at https://ndseg.asee.org/award by Wednesday, April 15th at 11:59 p.m. EST.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact ASEE at (202) 649-3831 or by email at NDSEG@asee.org.  We will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

The NDSEG Fellowship Program Team at ASEE

Can anyone login to the portal? Mine isn't working.

I received that last year and ended up getting a denial in the end. Good luck to you. 

Hope I get the SMART now. 

Thanks.  I just got rejected from NSF yesterday too and was trying to forget about it!  Maybe next year.  It seems there are three people on the results page from last year that received this message and later got the fellowship, but most are denied.