Decision/application anxiety

Gdcovme

Hello everyone

This is my first time posting here. I was really excited when I found the Grad café. So here goes. I have an undergrad degree in Elementary education (07). I have subbed, taught pre-k, done HS workshops, and now work in Admissions for a small school. It's doesn't pay well and is not a place where there is much growth for me. I am considering a Master's in Counseling. I feel I have many of the skills and experience needed to be successful as a counselor. However there are several things that are keeping me from completing the application process.

1. I am going back an forth between Counseling and Social Work although I do seem to be more drawn to counseling. Social work is more broad and therefore may have more earning power. This is kind of important to me given my experience with low paying jobs .I want something stable that will not leave me at a dead end.

2. After a long job search, a period of unemployment, and being rejected from a Masters Residency Program  (which would have paid my tuition and gave me a salary while earning a Master's in Educations. I am experiencing anxiety when it comes to applying etc. I very much want to take action and move forward professionally but I would like to know how anyone here has pressed forward in this process.

3. My family and others from the beginning of my undergrad experience were very disapproving of my decision to become a teacher. They looked down on the field because there are all in Health Care (Nursing) they make a good amount of money and see many paths in Health Care. I feel like they will judge me and I am afraid I won't be able to become successful and thus prove them right....

4. What is the outlooks on a Master's in Counseling?

Any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really know much about a Masters in Counseling but I will say you should still apply.  You can't let one situation or set of people discourage, go out and do what you intend to do.  Deal with some of this anxiety if and only if you are unsuccessful in your applications and go from there.  Look at this  as a fresh opportunity which is completely independent of all the above things (previous application, friends, outlook on counseling vs health field) etc.  Put your energy right now in determining how to put together the best application.  take one step at a time.  Best of luck.

How was your undergrad GPA? You have good experience which will help. There are subject specific forums at the bottom where you can ask people in your specific field. I would post in their about job prospects of counsling vs social work so people only in those specific fields can probalby help there. I agree that social work opens more doors to fall back on though you do already have an education degree to use as a back up plan and there is always a need for teachers so I don't see you ever being stuck with zero job options. From this perspective, it might be worth it to shoot for your counsling goals. Again, I would ask about this in the forums below for better advice from people in your field.

I will say that you shouldn't worry about being judged by anyone, especially your family. Follow your dreams and people who love you will be happy that you are happy. Nursing seems very different from your interests and money does not equal success.

School and career counselors: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm

Guidance counselors: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211012.htm#

Social workers: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/social-workers.htm

If you Google BLS + the job name there are often other reports that break down pay and employment by geographic area and specialty.

I also left a low laying job in my field for a related advanced degree, so I understand why you are nervous. Doing a ton of research on employment outcomes and what kind of jobs I would be looking for with my degree eased my anxiety a lot and made applying easier. It also made it much easier to explain my choice to people. You're doing the right thing by trying to get specific information about your career and degree now, before you commit to anything. Best of luck!

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to follow your heart.  If you are considering a master's degree solely on the hope that you will increase your (future potential) earnings you will not as successful as you would be if you are passionate about something and have to have the master's because it will allow you the opportunity to do what you want to do.  Take some time to brainstorm what your ideal job in the future would be.  What do you feel so passionately about that you wouldn't feel like you were working?  Once you can identify what you want to do more than anything else in the world, then take the time to figure out what training you need in order to be able to do it.  

I chose social work because it is, as you stated, very broad. It seemed like every job application I had seen for months was for someone with an MSW. Counseling is restrictive to counseling. Social work allows you to counsel and do a whole variety of other things without having to go back and get another masters. I figured there would be more options for employment and earning power, rather than in a more specific field.

Hello All

Thanks for the replies. Overall what i took away from your reponses is that I need to see this as an opportunity to start fresh and take it one step at a time, look to these forums for more specific info, Google BLS is helpful (I did review the links great info), follow my gut/heart, and the truth counseling vs Social work.

I am feeling more comfortable now that I understand where my anxiety is coming from and that I am not alone in my experiences.  I am also  glad that I am able to seek out advice from current and former grad students who have been through the process.

Thanks again