Reapplying - what are you doing differently?

ridgey

Many of you have mentioned revising your SOP. What are you going to do differently with your SOP this time?

I redid almost all of it. I spoke more about specifics, both in goals and prior experience. I also talked about specific issues in the field and stayed away from sweeping generalizations.

I'll begin the Round 2 of Grad School apps to Public Policy programs in about a month or so. Round 1 involved applying to Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, U of Texas, Tufts, and U of Chicago. I was rejected at all except Chicago, where I was wait-listed. My GPA is 3.8 from a regional school (BA in Economics, graduated this Spring '09) and my GRE scores were 670v / 780q / 5w (95% / 90% / 77%). I feel good about those.

The reasons I suspect I got rejected in Round 1 are:

• [*:1hrpfhmq]My resume includes 10 years of private-sector experience only, and all of a technical nature, and nothing that's particularly impressive.
    [*:1hrpfhmq]Of my 3 recommendations, 2 were from professors I had good relationships with, and 1 was from my immediate supervisor at work (lower to middle management). Of the 2 professors, only 1 really publishes much and is active in the academic community.
    [*:1hrpfhmq]My personal statements and other essays were written hastily and without adequate proof-reading and revising.
    [*:1hrpfhmq]My applications were turned in on the deadline dates in most cases, and a couple were missing things like transcripts too that I had to turn in after the universities contacted me.

I think the last two were the most hurtful to my application. My recommendations could be better too, but I don't know that there's much I'll be able to do about that between now and December. Same goes for the resume.

The things I'll do differently for Round 2 are:

[*:1hrpfhmq]Have my resume looked at by a few academics at my undergrad school. Perhaps there's a better way to format or highlight appealing aspects of my experience.

[*:1hrpfhmq]Volunteer time with a local charity or find a government internship. Either could be good to add to the resume and to perhaps secure a better recommendation.
    [*:1hrpfhmq]Do better research on schools to find good opportunities for full tuition aid and programs more focused on my interests (International Trade & Economic Development)
    [*:1hrpfhmq]Most importantly, dedicate more time to get applications submitted ahead of the early deadlines (early and often). This includes getting essays reviewed and proof-read, of course.

Suggestions, questions, and comments are welcome. Thanks to the others for posting your plans as well, it's helpful to read.

La Voz,

I wouldn't worry about the deadlines thing or volunteering with a charity. Honestly, most programs review all applications at the same time so it doesn't matter whether you submit it a month early or on the day of deadline. (I'm a procrastinator and it didn't hurt me at all to send in everything at the deadline. Plus schools know things get lost and don't blame you for it.) I would make sure to provide recommenders with a detailed SOP, CV, and that sort of thing so they can write the best letter possible about you. The government internship sounds like a good idea.

La Voz - I would consider applying to more schools. It is just tough and you need some luck. The more schools that you apply to increase your chances of an adcom being in a good mood on the day the read your app.

La Voz - The transcripts thing is something the administrative staff deals with, not the committee. It would still be best to have everything in on time, but as someone whose made some of the same mistakes and been successful, I guarantee you that #3 is the only one that killed you. #3 is HUGE. Definitely stay in touch as much as you can with the people at your UG - they'll be able to help you more than anyone.