Application Strength for Master's in Biostats?

trigga

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of applying to biostats masters programs from fall 2015 and I'm feeling a little apprehensive about everything, so I was hoping someone might shed some light on how competitive my app will be.  Here's my profile:

Student: Domestic White Male

Undergrad School: Top 40 University

Major: Financial Economics with a minor in Mathematics (graduated May 2014)

Overall GPA: 3.94

GRE: 162 V; 164 Q; 5.5 W

Relevant Math/Stats courses:  Calc I, Calc II, Multivariable Calc, Diff Eq w/ Linear Algebra, Linear Algebra (proof based), Discrete Math, Mathematical Biology, Economic Statistics (intro applied stats + prob), Econometrics (intro to OLS regression, worked with Stata), Intro to Linear Models (worked with R)

Letters of Rec: 1 econ prof, 1 math prof and 1 stats prof, all of which know me pretty well

Other: Elected to Phi Beta Kappa, already have some knowledge of Stata and R, took a few comp sci courses so I'm familiar with programming mainly in Java and some C, and am aware of data structures and designing algorithms(might not be relevant at all).

Potential Drawbacks: Never took Mathematical Statistics or a sole Probability course, never took college level Bio course (came in with credit from IB bio), no relevant statistics experience outside of classroom (ie no internship/job experience)

I realized too late in my undergrad career that I actually wasn't too fond of finance...what I was really interested in was applied statistics, and I like the idea of studying Biostatistics because its an applied field and I can actually work on something more meaningful to me than banking/finance.  That being said, I'm open to Statistics Masters programs as well, but from the research I've done it seems most expect Mathematical Statistics and a Probaiblity course to be completed already and biostats generally seems to be more applied/a little less theoretical than pure Stats MS (feel free to tell me I'm wrong!)

School's I plan on applying to for MA/MS in Biostats:

Harvard, UMich, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Buffalo

As odd as this may sound, Buffalo actually would be my top choice (cheap + potential for funding + area of country I like + I like the structure of the program + seems like I fit the prospective student profile).  If thats the case, am I wasting my time applying to the higher ranked places like Harvard and Michigan?  Would I even be a competitive applicant at these schools?  Any other suggestions for schools I should like into (Biostats or regular stats)? 

At this point in time I'm primarily interested in just the Master's program and then working somewhere as a statistician, but I haven't entirerly crossed out the idea of pursuing a PhD afterwards.  If I decide on PhD down the road and assuming I get into/go to Buffalo, my PhD options would be greatly reduced than if I went to one of the higher ranked schools, correct?

Thanks for  taking the time to look through this, and I greatly appreciate any feedback!

If your school is anywhere NEAR the top 40, with a record like this you're a slam dunk admit to basically any Masters program in the country (yes, this includes Harvard). I think you're crazy to even be considering SUNY Buffalo; it's not even in the yard of Harvard/Michigan/UCLA, and certainly below Pitt in terms of prestige. If I were you, I'd start with the top 10 biostat programs, narrow your list down to places you would consider living for a couple of years, and apply to those. Most Masters programs don't usually guarantee funding (Michigan being a notable exception), but since your profile is so strong you might be able to get a couple of enticing offers from places who see the potential to "convert" you into a PhD student down the road.

cyberwulf - Hmm, I still feel like since I'm lacking some specific math courses (like an an analysis course and a year long mathematical statistics sequence as opposed to just applied statistics) that my application isn't that strong, but if it really is than that definitely eleviates some pressure.  Is Buffalo really that low?  The ranking list I'm looking at has it in the top 20.  Ultimately I'd like to stay and work in the Buffalo region for family reasons, so I feel that staying there and networking in the immediate area would be best for long term prospects.  That and the cost really can't be beaten, especially because there's a possibility for funding.  I'd really prefer to not go too much farther into debt for a master's degree.

Catria - any specific reason why you suggest Tulane?

cyberwulf - Hmm, I still feel like since I'm lacking some specific math courses (like an an analysis course and a year long mathematical statistics sequence as opposed to just applied statistics) that my application isn't that strong, but if it really is than that definitely eleviates some pressure.  Is Buffalo really that low?  The ranking list I'm looking at has it in the top 20.  Ultimately I'd like to stay and work in the Buffalo region for family reasons, so I feel that staying there and networking in the immediate area would be best for long term prospects.  That and the cost really can't be beaten, especially because there's a possibility for funding.  I'd really prefer to not go too much farther into debt for a master's degree.

Catria - any specific reason why you suggest Tulane?

If you want to work in the South, then you may replace UPitt by Tulane (not Buffalo as previously suggested)... otherwise disregard my advice.

There aren't very many established biostat departments, so #20 is kinda far down the list. It's reasonable to go to Buffalo if you view it as the smoothest path to the local job market, but if you're entertaining the possibility of pursuing a PhD you're giving up a lot by going there for a Masters instead of a place in the top 5.

As far as course preparation goes, you're fine. Masters programs typically require that you take a math stat sequence, for which the pre-requisites aren't much more than basic probability & stats (along with calculus and linear algebra). And, as a Masters student, you won't touch any theoretical topics that require real analysis. 

Edited by cyberwulf