Cuny Hunter School of Social Work (MSW)

laurendijo

Just finished undergrad at Rutgers University and will soon be moving to nyc to start my msw at Hunter. Anyone else newly admitted and waiting to attend pre-orientation this summer? I'm a bit confused about all of the online ids/portals, and registering for classes, but assume this will all be covered at orientation. I'd love to talk with any other new students out there!

• 2 months later...

Hey! I'm entering the Hunter College School of Social Work this fall!

I'm a total "vet" of the CUNY system (CUNY City is my alma mater), so I totally understand how annoying the whole system is. I still have problems with it! It's like this: the CUNY websites work about 50% percent of the time... and of the 50% of time that they don't work, 100% of that time is when you really need them to work urgently!

Ahah! I'm kidding... sort of... well, you'll certainly see for yourself! I'm really nervous and excited about starting school! My name is Chloe', by the way. If you want to keep in touch that would be cool!

Peace,

Chloe'

Hey,

Ok, so I won't be at the School of Social Work but will be attending the Grad Center :wink: . Anyone else find it weird that registration for new students is only ten days before classes start? Isn't that a bit late to be getting books (especially if you want to buy them online)? Also, I hate that loans are disbursed after classes start...but I'm still SUPER excited to start at the Grad Center!!!

Oh I definitely know what you mean about the website! I was just finally able to register for classes, and am waiting to hear back about financial aid. It is so weird that they disburse checks after the bill is due. Do you know if they will drop you from your classes when the bill is not paid on time because I'm waiting to be paid by my loans?

And yes, I'd love to keep in touch- I don't know anyone at hunter, let alone the school of social work ha. My email is laurendijo@gmail if you want to meet up at orientation or something!

I will be attending CUNY-Brooklyn College Master's Program for Urban Policy. All of my classes are at 25 Broadway. Anyone know the deal with that? I'm moving from out of state so I wanted to know if I should find somewhere near campus to live or if I should live near the Graduate Center for Worker Education. I need to be close to study and research resources.

I will be attending CUNY-Brooklyn College Master's Program for Urban Policy. All of my classes are at 25 Broadway. Anyone know the deal with that? I'm moving from out of state so I wanted to know if I should find somewhere near campus to live or if I should live near the Graduate Center for Worker Education. I need to be close to study and research resources.

Hey,

I'll be moving from out of state too but am a former New Yorker and am familiar with the city. Since 25 Broadway is downtown, it would be fine if you found a place in Brooklyn if you wanted to be closer to Brooklyn College or if you liked the rent and locations there more than downtown Manhattan. You could probably get to your classes in 20 - 30 minutes via subway or bus (maybe even less). Finding a place to live in downtown Manhattan will be a struggle, but not impossible...especially if you're looking to live with roommates. However, Brooklyn is so close to downtown Manhattan that the commute shouldn't be too bad at all. If it's the commute that you're worried about, use something like HopStop.com or Google Maps to figure out how long it would take to get downtown from a certain area (of course, that is just an estimate). Also, if other neighborhoods suit your needs better and if you can stand a longer commute, don't rule them out. When I visited the Grad Center and talked to some students, it seemed like each student I talked to lived in a different borough...and some lived rather far out, in my opinion. Some people like spending 40 or so minutes one way on the train while others hate it. Whatever works for you. There are some good threads about commuting in NYC on the NYC message board over at City-data.com. Good luck! :D

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use