Preliminary Timetable - PhD Proposals for Schools in UK

Hi everyone!

I have been working pretty extensively on my research proposal for my PhD applications, and am now struggling with writing out the section on my preliminary timetable. I am struggling with what a preliminary timetable should look like for a UK program (which is approx. 3-4 years in length, and research-based). Yes I understand that it is only preliminary, but I've really no idea how many months I should anticipate looking in the archives, for instance, or how many months is reasonable to be working on the first draft of, say, chapter 1. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information about my area of study, etc.

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I have been working pretty extensively on my research proposal for my PhD applications, and am now struggling with writing out the section on my preliminary timetable. I am struggling with what a preliminary timetable should look like for a UK program (which is approx. 3-4 years in length, and research-based). Yes I understand that it is only preliminary, but I've really no idea how many months I should anticipate looking in the archives, for instance, or how many months is reasonable to be working on the first draft of, say, chapter 1. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information about my area of study, etc.

Thanks!

Yay! A Canadian!

I can't contribute anything, as I'm not applying to the English school system, but I do have a question for you - with your SSHRC scholarship, why not consider applying to American schools? Is it a location preference? Are you considering applying for a Rhodes as well for funding, or do you have independent money secured?

Hi there!

I am actually originally American, so I definitely did think about applying to places in the States but decided not to. It is a location preference.

I am applying for a SSHRC PhD scholarship, and am in the process of looking at other potential scholarships to apply for. The Rhodes is one I will be sure to look at.

Edited by windrainfireandbooks

Hello, hello!

I'm not sure how much I can help regarding PhD timelines, but I did get my MA (1 year) at KCL, so perhaps seeing how my own timeline worked would be beneficial!

We spent out first semester taking the core modules for the MA, and had to submit a proposal for our dissertations in December. A faculty member chose which students they'd like to work with based on their own research and areas of expertise, and we met with them for the first time that February. We took two courses of our choice in the spring, and literature reviews were due that April. Final dissertations were submitted the first week of September - essentially giving you all summer to discuss your topic with your advisor, research, and write.

It moves at a rapid speed - which is something I've also heard about UK PhD programs. Because students complete their MA/PhD's in such a short amount of time compared to the US (obviously much of this has to do with their research-heavy approach as opposed to a US teaching-heavy approach), nearly every moment of your time is dedicated to your writing. This isn't  very different from US PhD programs, of course, but I think the US time frame allows for a little bit of wiggle room that virtually doesn't exist in UK PhD programs. It's thrilling stuff, honestly. A whirlwind - but totally thrilling.

I hope this helps! I'd be happy to answer any other UK higher-ed questions you may have! :) 

Thanks for sharing this insight, Krystal! Yes, I have heard from a few people about the rapid speed and will admit I am kind of exhilarated by that prospect myself. If any further questions come up, I will be sure to ask. Tomorrow I will be meeting with someone from back home who has taught for the past two years at British universities, so I am super excited to hear his insight as well. Best of luck with the PhD application process, and thanks again. :)