Funded MA Programs

Hello!

I am in the midst of getting together my application information for admission into a MA (or possibly MA/Phd program) for Fall 2015. 

What are some MA programs in either Media Studies or Communication Studies that offer funding for Masters students?

My stats:

-Graduated from a small liberal arts college May 2014 w/ an overall GPA of 3.92 (Comm GPA: 4.0)
-GRE projected scores based off practice tests: 167-169 V, 156-160 Q
-Completed a Major Honors Thesis and defense 

Any suggestions of programs I should add to my list that I have a chance of getting some funding for?

Think about UCF. I am finishing my MA there right now. It has it's advantages being a terminal master's program. I think the faculty there is great depending on your research interest and you can really stand above the crowd and get some good research experience and conference/journal work. I highly recommend the program and you can get finding. I've been funded both years there.

Let me know if you have any questions I'll be sure to help

OU funds MA students at the same stipend level as PhD students.  Many go on from here either in-program or elsewhere to complete doctorates but if you choose to terminate at the Master's level that is okay too.  I'm a 2nd year PhD student and my incoming cohort had 5 MA students and 6 PhD students.  Those who go elsewhere for the PhD receive multiple offers.  And I can think of 3 people who did the MA here and then chose to stay for the doctoral program.

If you are interested feel free to ask me questions.  I love it here.

Thanks for advice you two!! I'll be sure to look into those programs. 

Right now, I think my biggest problem is my own pickiness about locations...it's a huge priority for me to be in a big city, preferably east coast.

What have your experiences been like in those locations and/or do you know of some generously funded programs in Boston, Chicago, DC, NYC, etc?

I don't know anything about funding in the locations you mention.

I like OU - Oklahoma City has lots of things to do and isn't terribly far away.  I have kids and they spend a lot of time at the zoo and children's science museum - which are comparable/better than comparable programs in Portland, OR.  There are also professional sports teams, theater, opera (there is an opera company in Norman), other museums, nice dining. It's rather surprising what you can get fairly local - and Dallas isn't a terribly far drive if you want a bigger city.

Oregon State University offers a Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (MAIS) and the communication department is generous about funding if you have at least one area of the degree be from them.  My husband went there back in 2000-2003.  His focus was more rhetorical at the time.  Corvallis isn't a big city but it is a different environment than Oklahoma.  You might check into there if you're willing to move to the Left Coast.

Wichita State has a good communication program.  Probably more focused on applied communication than its academic counterpart.  However, we've got good people in the department, great resources and a lot of funding.  We doubled the size of our program this year and added 9 funded MA Comm students.

Ohio State and Illinois do for sure and are top programs. Delaware has a terminal MA program that still offers an academic-oriented track and the department is actually rather star-studded in terms of the research prowess of the faculty. I believe many of them are funded there. I planned to apply there as a "fallback" (I knew I may need to go to an MA program, but I preferred somewhere I could move up into a PhD for family reasons), but found out I had been admitted to a PhD program before submitting the app so I pulled it back.

• 1 month later...