2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

Update from UIUC:
I just called the program coordinator again, and she said that no one from the Social-Personality has contacted her yet about sending official rejection or acceptance emails. I mentioned that I knew that someone has received an unofficial acceptance from a professor, and the coordinator said that while professors may be contacting some applicants, "everything is still up in the air" (direct quote...whatever what means).  She said that I shouldn't lose hope until I get a rejection email. 

I wonder if I should send an email to my POI and ask politely what's up or if I should just wait it out...

Edited by coffeeaddict29

This thread seems to have fallen into silence...any updates from anyone?  Anyone going to SPSP later this month?

I'm going to SPSP. And I'm dreading it. I am so ashamed that I didn't get even one in person interview and that all I'll get are rejection letters... I don't know how I will be able to go to the talks of my fave researchers... Heck, I am nervous that even my mentor will be embarrassed by me and upset that I was such a horrible candidate this app cycle.

I'm going to SPSP. And I'm dreading it. I am so ashamed that I didn't get even one in person interview and that all I'll get are rejection letters... I don't know how I will be able to go to the talks of my fave researchers... Heck, I am nervous that even my mentor will be embarrassed by me and upset that I was such a horrible candidate this app cycle.

This is your first round, right? I sincerely doubt your mentor will be embarrassed by you, the reality is that graduate programs are very competitive and everyone knows that. Don't think of yourself as the reject, think of yourself as the (continually) aspiring researcher.

I mean, you are getting to go to SPSP. That's amazing! I wish I could go so badly.

What makes you think your POIs will remember you? What makes it so embarrassing? How much have you personalized the prospect of being rejected across the board? What makes you think your mentor would be embarrassed by you?

You wouldn't worry about what other people think of you, if you knew how little they do.

Not an insult, just a reminder. I have empathy for you. It sucks. But it is also quite common to get rejected across the board your first time, especially if you only apply to nine highly competitive research schools. You got an interview with UT which means you're probably a good candidate. SPSP is a great networking opportunity if you don't in this year.

Edited by yellowmint

Yeah, I agree with others.  I know it's hard to not be upset by it, but many good people get rejected across the board (I was last year, and may well be again this year, but I also am limiting myself geographically).  SPSP is a good opportunity to get your foot in the door with the grad students of POI's - maybe even put together some collaboration on a study.  (I can guarantee almost no other applicant is shrewd enough to do that...so you'd have  a leg up). 

Also, sometimes it's hard to know what POI's are currently working on because what's listed online lags a bit, and publications take a year or two from start to finish.  So seeing what their students are doing gives you an idea into their current interests.  You can also talk to some of them yourself if they are there and you have a genuine question for them.  And if you are presenting a poster at SPSP, all the better - talk yourself and your research up and it's possible you'll be remembered if you stay in touch with interested parties.

The waiting is the worst and it's hard not to take the rejections (or even the silence waiting for any kind of decision) personally. But SPSP is an amazing opportunity and it will only make your application stronger if you do have to apply again next year. I hope you have a great time there

Just to echo what others have already said, sooooo many people get rejected across the board during their first application cycle, especially in a field that is as competitive as social psychology. It's nothing to be ashamed about! Try to enjoy SPSP, it will be such a great experience to be around so many fantastic researchers - plus it's a great networking opportunity! If nothing else, have fun for me since I cannot go. :)

Havent heard anything from either PhD or Masters programs. Like....nothing. No rejections, interviews, acceptances. IS THIS NORMAL OH GOD

Depends on what programs you've applied to. Have your programs already been listed on the Results Search as sending invites or acceptances? If they have, then maybe not so good. If no one has heard anything yet, you're still in the clear.

Havent heard anything from either PhD or Masters programs. Like....nothing. No rejections, interviews, acceptances. IS THIS NORMAL OH GOD

"Normal" depends on the program. Some PhD programs take longer or have later due dates and therefore later decisions. Masters programs are pretty quiet across the board until later February/early March (not always true). The results page is your friend/curse for this kind of information.

Edit: Sorry. I pretty much echoed Shana. Somehow I didn't see her post.

Edited by PsychandPhilo

This waiting is driving me nutters!

On the bright side, I just extended out my time at SPSP. I'm taking a road trip through the Salton Sea to Yuma Territorial Prison :)

I love the Salton Sea! So eerie and beautiful. It's a great exploration and photography spot. Have fun!

"Normal" depends on the program. Some PhD programs take longer or have later due dates and therefore later decisions. Masters programs are pretty quiet across the board until later February/early March (not always true). The results page is your friend/curse for this kind of information.

Edit: Sorry. I pretty much echoed Shana. Somehow I didn't see her post.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ^_^

And don't worry about not seeing my post, I'm only 5'1, so people rarely see me either.

This is your first round, right? I sincerely doubt your mentor will be embarrassed by you, the reality is that graduate programs are very competitive and everyone knows that. Don't think of yourself as the reject, think of yourself as the (continually) aspiring researcher.

I mean, you are getting to go to SPSP. That's amazing! I wish I could go so badly.

What makes you think your POIs will remember you? What makes it so embarrassing? How much have you personalized the prospect of being rejected across the board? What makes you think your mentor would be embarrassed by you?

You wouldn't worry about what other people think of you, if you knew how little they do.

Not an insult, just a reminder. I have empathy for you. It sucks. But it is also quite common to get rejected across the board your first time, especially if you only apply to nine highly competitive research schools. You got an interview with UT which means you're probably a good candidate. SPSP is a great networking opportunity if you don't in this year.

Yeah, I agree with others.  I know it's hard to not be upset by it, but many good people get rejected across the board (I was last year, and may well be again this year, but I also am limiting myself geographically).  SPSP is a good opportunity to get your foot in the door with the grad students of POI's - maybe even put together some collaboration on a study.  (I can guarantee almost no other applicant is shrewd enough to do that...so you'd have  a leg up). 

Also, sometimes it's hard to know what POI's are currently working on because what's listed online lags a bit, and publications take a year or two from start to finish.  So seeing what their students are doing gives you an idea into their current interests.  You can also talk to some of them yourself if they are there and you have a genuine question for them.  And if you are presenting a poster at SPSP, all the better - talk yourself and your research up and it's possible you'll be remembered if you stay in touch with interested parties.

Just to echo what others have already said, sooooo many people get rejected across the board during their first application cycle, especially in a field that is as competitive as social psychology. It's nothing to be ashamed about! Try to enjoy SPSP, it will be such a great experience to be around so many fantastic researchers - plus it's a great networking opportunity! If nothing else, have fun for me since I cannot go. :)

Well this is my second time applying. And it's my first year off and my mentor from undergrad really did all he could to make me a better candidate and I still fell flat on my face. I think he will be mad at me. Also, this is my second SPSP (and my 13th poster). I just don't know what to do differently. I'm really working non stop on psych stuff and putting all my energy into it and I am still a horrible candidate. :(