philosophy ph.d. programs

Guest guestus anginus

And to think, I applied to the "less eliteist, less mainstream" programs. Well, it seems like just a facade. All that matters in the end is that you produce a cookie-cutter application.

I am runing out of ideas and hope. All that I know though is that I love philosophy more than anything, and I am sad that I will have to put off formally studying it. I mean I that's all I want to do...

If anyone has ideas of how to improve my application if I need to reapply next year, I would appreciate the input.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart, I am in the same situation. It looks like it'll be a year off -- maybe more. I blew a lot of money on this and it'll take a while to recoup the savings. Of course, one can say, "if one wants something bad enough, then..." and keep trying, but I had a pretty tough first year of undergrad (some time ago, though, and I went on to earn two MAs despite that) and I often wonder if those grades will forever keep me out of programs. You know, sifting through 200 applications, you have to have some way of winnowing them down, and I have the equivalent of a giant splotch on my transcript there. Shame to have something you did at 18 follow you deep into one's future...but that's the case for a lot of life, I suppose.

Well, I'm sure if Wittgenstein were alive, he'd tell me that I really ought to do something a bit more useful, anyway. Maybe I'll move to Sils Maria.

Guest phronesis

I was wondering if anyone has actually heard back from Stony (someone seems to have gotten an acceptance in the post, but I don't see it anymore) and also Fordham (like a rejection letter or something).

One the problem if being rejected everywhere:

I don't think that this is uncommon - both because there are an extrme number of applicants and because often things are a crapshoot. There are so many variable - in general you need to be a really good fit for a school and sometimes it is difficult to judge as an applicant what actually is a good fit - what kind of person a derpatemt is looking for, but also what kind of breath a department wants in an incoming class. You may be a really strong applicant in general, but in terms of your interest are competing with other applicants who are stronger, while "worse" applicants may have been accepted because their interest are more original (for the department, lets say - and they want a varied group. This is generally why it is a good idea to apply to 10-15 departments - it is good to get a spread out.

Also Boston College is really Catholic - and I imagine that they do give a preference to people who have that religious orientation as well has some interest in catholic philosophy - the same I think can be said of Fordham.

To phronesis: I haven't heard anything from Stony Brook, and am really wondering what their deal is. Nothing from Fordham either, although I'm confident they've contacted their acceptances. It's frustrating how long the rejections take to go out. I can't believe we pay so much money to be an afterthought form letter that a secretary finally gets around too-- this process could be SO much easier and more humane.

Now via postal service. Wait-listed for funding -- letter suggests I have a good chance. (If anyone here knows anything about this funding issue please let me know.) There's no postmark date but I am in NY.

So, those of you expecting rejections still have a chance.

I just got my letter to Fordham too - I'm accepted with funding, 16,100 per year + 400 towards health insurance. This was recieved in Connecticut.

I think the only thing that would prevent me from taking it would be a better offer from BC, though I'd be surprised if that happened.

I just heard I'm in here, but I've heard nothing but bad things about this department so far (and only mediocre things from my professors)--plus I haven't received the all important notification of funding as of yet. Anybody have anything (hopefully good) to say about this program?

Well, you have to take what you can, no? There are many plus signs to Fordham: very outgoing and bright grad students -- so it's a good collegial atmosphere -- and they just put on a great conference with Badiou as guest speaker. Decent library to work in, too. The oral and written exams have been known to be legendarily tough, but that's changed -- I don't think they're as difficult as a few years back. This is something you might want to look into with a current student.

Minus signs: physical plant of parts of the university -- particularly where the philosophy dept. is located -- is deteriorating, you're (most likely) living in the Bronx, and the profs can be a bit distant unless you identify someone with whom you'd like to work right off the bat. It's an eclectic mix -- but it's still a PhD program, and one with strong connections to the other continental schools. I'd take it -- particularly if you've already identified what you'd like to write on and are really self-motivated in your research habits.

I can't say anything about the department politics, or anything you might be referring to in that area, though.

By the by, has anyone heard from Stony Brook? God!

Guest phr0nesis

Sea: I think that above poster was talking about the New School, not Fordham - but the information about Fordham is good. Thank you - did you go there? Also, its amazing how many times I have heard (and asked) if any one has heard about Stony - I don't think the damn has broken yet, so good luck.

Guest guesty mc guest

So a friend of mine recieved a USPS letter from Stoneybrook about 2 weeks ago admitting her and giving her full funding.

I emailed them 2 weeks ago and they said everyone would know by the end of the month (march).

I assume they admitted the clear admits first and have a waitlist and are waiting on those people to accept/reject.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there,

I got an offer from Stony Brook over a month ago (i've only just discovered this forum...am kicking myself for not having stumbled across it earlier). I was pretty surprised because it was literally only a few weeks after I submitted the application.

But by the sound of it the timing of their offers seem somewhat staggered..

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for everyone's honest advice on this (my feelings won't get hurt, I promise!)

Let's say you are me, and you wasted your undergraduate years away (a 2.35 gpa, I'll let you imagine all the ways that could happen at Florida State...)

and by a stroke of luck I interviewed well (and somehow had great rec. letters) and got into a MA and have proceeded to get a 4.0 there.

What are my chances like for top PhD programs? I was hoping everyone here could help me gauge what quality of school should be my safety, my reach, and what not. Again, go ahead and be painfully honest and thanks for everyone's time!!