PhD in Finance. I need some advice

ssong2

I just graduate from a small private college with math degree (gpa 3.92/4.0) and starting masters in a large private college in Statistics.

Recently Ive been very interested in Finance / b-schools and I don't have that much business/econ background.

My master's program is very intense and theoretic centered, so I don't think i will have that much time to take any other classes.

What can I do to prepare myself for finance ph.d after my masters? any advice?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I just graduate from a small private college with math degree (gpa 3.92/4.0) and starting masters in a large private college in Statistics.

Recently Ive been very interested in Finance / b-schools and I don't have that much business/econ background.

My master's program is very intense and theoretic centered, so I don't think i will have that much time to take any other classes.

What can I do to prepare myself for finance ph.d after my masters? any advice?

Thanks

If you want to do financial econometrics, your stats background will be very helpful. If you want to do asset pricing, you'll need to brush up on stuff like Hilbert spaces, analysis (real/complex/functional), etc. Other areas in finance can be learned as you go along but familiarizing yourself with some of the nomenclature will be extremely helpful in the application process.