Microbiology Ph.D. SoP critique?

I am applying to six Micro programs, and I was hoping someone would be willing to read one of my SoPs before I go crazy finishing all six of them!  I am concerned it's too boring and impersonal. Thanks in advance!

Also -- how bad is it to submit one essay that's just tailored to each program?  So all the same info, but just addressing the faculty and research at the given university.

Edited by pachydermatus

Well, you can post your SOP in this thread so that people may be able to read it. It depends on how you tailored this one essay to each program. If you just replaced university names and professor's names while keeping everything else the same, then I would say that will hurt your chances more than do you good, especially if it doesn't seem at all like you're specifically writing to the program and addressing it in your statement. Make sure you include explain why these individual programs you're applying for are a good fit for you beyond general statements like 'interdisciplinary research' or 'world-class faculty' for example.

Also try to match up your experiences and interests with those of the individual program, as not all may offer the same package you're looking for.

Sometimes it's okay to use the same essay (or, at least, most of the same content), as long as the different schools are asking the EXACT same question. But certain schools are looking for a specific kind of candidate, and you can tailor your SOP to respond to what they're looking for, so a "generic" one-size-fits-all essay will be a disadvantage to you.

Edited by fuzzylogician
edited to remove advertisement

Thanks, StudyStar!

I see what you're saying. I am just really having trouble finding new ways to say the same thing. Luckily they mostly ask the very general "Why do you want to go to grad school, and why at (University)? Explain how your previous experience has prepared you for graduate study."