Statement of Purpose Trouble

A little background: I am currently enrolled in a PhD program, though I am applying to other programs during the Fall 2015 application cycle as a candidate coming in with my MA. I wouldn't be unhappy to stay in my program, but I am at my undergraduate institution (it's very strong in my area of specialization, which is why I ended up choosing it over other offers the first time around), and I think it would be prudent to see if I can get the PhD somewhere else. 

The problem: my area of specialization is niche, and I'm having a hard time contextualizing it in the SOP so that it sounds like I'm a scholar with other, better established interests who also works in this area. I'm aware this is something I would have to "sell" to some departments, but I don't want to omit it entirely--I don't have a coherent statement of purpose without it, and it IS what I want to pursue, so I don't want that to be a surprise in the future. It's not a case where I could really frame it as, say, primarily in a project in 19th-century British literature.

Anyone dealt or dealing with a situation like this have tips? Or suggestions? 

Thanks so much. 

Hey thepriorwalter,

(love the name)

Its hard to really offer advice without a least a little more context on what your niche is. Although I'm very familiar with the situation.

I am trying to transition from English Lit and Classics into Linguistics. Problem is that my specific project is in a field that doesn't even exist! If my field did exist it would be somewhere between Linguistics (diachronic & phonology), philosophy(language and cog sci), anthropology (cultural evolution), and performance. I've selected Linguistics(in addition to more than a passing interest) in large part because it is the only field that has some of the tools needed to apply for this project. But finding a program, let alone persons of interest, that could fit with my work is proving quite difficult. Therefore I'm very aware that when writing my SOP I'm really going to have to sell my project/niche to the various departments I apply to. I am going to have to convince them that this really strange project of mine will have significant through lines for their own field(s).

I think selling it is really what you have to do. Particularly in how it connects to subjects like "19th-century British Lit," even if it can't be neatly nested. Show the web of how its relates, rather than situating taxonomically within the traditional sub-disciplines. That said, in English Lit I imagine that most topics that aren't specific to a historical period/place can usually be subsumed somewhere in critical theory, rhetoric, or poetics. You can always use the language of 'intersections' in your SOP if your work, like mine, only really fits in some strange interdisciplinary space.

But if your current institution really is the best place for what you're specialization then it hardly seems wise to consider leaving just to get out there. Have you considered exchanges or opportunities to travel and do research elsewhere for a year?

This is probably a very, very dumb question, but I have a reason for asking it: do you actually have to go through the whole application process again, or can you explore transfer possibilities?

The reason I ask is that I have a friend who was pursuing her Ph.D. (in a different field) at Boston College, and after a couple of years, was able to effectively transfer to Ohio University. I'm almost certain that she didn't have to reapply, as she didn't wind up making the decision to transfer until early summer, and officially moved and started the new program by late summer.

Again, it's probably a dumb question, but it might not hurt checking with certain DGSs to explore the possibility.

Ziggyfinish, thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry for the lack of context. I had read a similar thread on here where all the advice came back to situating it in a time period, and I wanted to see if someone would suggest it was appropriate to situate via theory. The idea of intersections is good too. Thank you. I hope that you find a way to situate your project--it sounds like a challenge but it also sounds like you have a really clear idea of what you want to study, which is a good chunk of the battle.

Part of leaving would be for better funding--funding is low here, so I am hoping to have a better offer somewhere else and/or use it to leverage it for more money from my department. I've limited applications to: (1) better funding, (2) better placement, and (3) two professors I would really like to work with.

Wyatt's Torch, thanks for the reply. I did consider transfer opportunities, but none of the programs I am interested in will allow it (in fact, a few top programs don't even give you credit for your master's). Certainly not a dumb question--if I hadn't explored the possibility already, I would've heeded the suggestion. Thank you.

Ahhhh, a hockey fan?? Yes, Malkin! Well spotted.

I suspect we're a rare breed...not only hockey fans in general, but English majors to boot. Literature and sports often go together like oil and water!

The Pens are one of my favorite teams. I'm a Vancouverite, so obviously the Canucks are first and foremost in my heart, but over the years I've become more of a general NHL fan, if you know what I mean. I'll often watch games between teams I have no particular investment in. It helps that I usually have three or four competitive hockey pools going on each year, but yeah...I'm quite a hockey fan, to be sure.

Apologies for the off-topic posts. Two minutes for Interference. ;)

I suspect we're a rare breed...not only hockey fans in general, but English majors to boot. Literature and sports often go together like oil and water!

Haha nice tangent. I'm also a bit of a hockey fan + English major. Though I will say that in my experience as a Montrealer (Go Habs Go!) that the Literary sport fan is not such a rare bird (I've known quite a few). At least in Montreal for sure you would find many an Lit Major hockey fan.

• 4 weeks later...