I'm applying for Neuroscience PhDs but I have very little experience

megs1622

So I'm very nervous. My major is Chemistry but I'm really really interested in neuroscience research. I didn't figure that out until my senior year. This is my gap year and I'm applying to Neuroscience PhD programs.

I went to a large private college for chemistry

overall gpa: 3.60

Major gpa: 3.59

Gre V: 165

Gre Q: 166

AW :5

Waiting for chemistry gre results.

I did 2 years of research in an organometalllic chemistry lab at my college where I also won a small research Grant and presented at a conference held at my school.

In my gap year, I'm interning at a pediatric oncology lab at a pretty prestigious med school. I wanted to learn more bio skills. I'm also auditing some neuroscience classes at that school.

Is this enough for a decent application? The research that I'm interested in doing is Chemistry related but it falls mainly under neuro.

Neroscience is as much chemistry as it is bio. You seem to have the perfect application for neurscience programs in my opinion. Many of the most difficult conepts in biology are related to the chemistry behind them. I think that showing that you have mastered these topics will be an asset to your application. I would not write your SOP from the mindset that you show here. I would not write it as if you are changing fields but would instead focus on how your chem background has prepared you for the research you want to do in the future.

I see no real issues with your profile, chemistry majors can do quite well in biology. Although if you're applying to neuroscience programs I doubt they care about your chem GRE score.

I would definitely not worry about your chem background, again as others have said it may even help you.  neuroscience typically includes a lot of pharmacology and binding kinetics etc.  So your chem background should be fine.  the thing they are looking for is that you have the ability to learn.  Remember getting a PhD isn't about becoming a specialized cog, it means learning to be a good scientist in more than one application.